Question! Pharmacy technician good for HCE??

I worked as a pharm tech before and during PA school as well. I don't believe it counts as direct contact HCE like CNA or EMT work would. I will say that while that experience doesn't help quite as much with the application process, it is a HUGE help once you're in classes like pharmacology and are familiar with the drugs, know what they look like/what they're for, and how prescriptions should be written, you'll be miles ahead of your classmates. Pharmacology was actually my favorite class throughout PA school and it was everyone else's most hated class.

My advice for now would be to sell the experience you have, when given the opportunity. Even though it's not direct HCE, it may even be considered MORE beneficial given how dangerous a new PA can be without a functional knowledge of drugs and how to properly prescribe them.

Although a valid and useful member of the healthcare team, pharm tech is generally considered to have little to no direct patient contact and therefore scored low (or not at all as EMED points out) in terms of HCE. I receommend getting some DIRECT patient care experience in addition to pharm tech. ER tech, CNA, etc. are all better options IMO.

Pat

I got into PA school with only retail pharmacy tech experience. It is not easy and you must choose wisely when applying to school. Try to get a little CNA or other more direct experience. Even a little bit will help. Show interest in working more directly with patients even if it's volunteer work. Emphasize your desire to work with people. Good luck!

I applied to PA schools without reporting any direct HCE hours, but during my interview they asked me to describe my high school job (as a PCA for 2 autistic boys) and they determined that definitely counted as direct HCE. Automatic 1000+ hours of HCE haha.

The dumb part is that my experience working as a pharm tech was way more useful preparing me to be a PA than the experience I had in high school changing a 16 yr old's diaper and feeding them their meds with apple sauce.

Archived