Let's Talk about $$

Ok, here's the deal: Yes, money isn't the MOST important thing when it comes to taking a job or not. However, with student loans and a family it is also VERY important. I recently went on the first of two interviews with a specialty group that I'm very interested in (they flew me and my spouse across the country, paid for everything, etc.). But we still haven't discussed any sort of salary or benefits, etc. I have asked via email before my interview and all that they responded with was, "we are very competitive." Thoughts?

Should I be concerned that they don't want to disclose the salary, or are they simply trying not to make salary the primary decision factor for a potential candidate?

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions just yet. Definitely make them throw out the first number. In the meantime I would simply continue my job search and see where they want to go. No reason to read too much into it at this time point as everything is still up in the air. Just remember when they offer a number to think long and hard. It is very hard to get an adequate raise once you have settled on a number.

Every practice does it differently. In some the salary scale is in a separate dept than the clinical side. The docs/providers interview and decide on who gets the offer, and then the applicant and HR hammer out the salary. It's not uncommon for it to be the last thing discussed.

Use the time to show how valuble you are and push your price up. Then pick a number, stick with it, and go for it. Most places have flexibility and will obviously try to lowball. Know the regional market value for your specialty and add based on your relative experience.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@PAFGUY 77, by way of an update, I should hearback from this particular position early next week. Since I originally posted they've flown me out for a second interview. It has been a somewhat lengthy process, but that's ok since I have time with my graduation not until later in the year. In the meantime I've also had several more interviews incluiding another "me & the wife" trip to another state. I also have a few others in the works. It's just a matter of which offer is the best and we feel would be the best decision for our family. But they're all in the "we have a few more candidates to interview, we'll get back to you in a few weeks" phase. Which is good. I'm hoping the timing works out as such that I can have a few offers to compare and consider at the same time and make the wisest decision.

• 2 months later...
Forgive me for the delayed reply. If they've flown you out, chances look good, although seems like you have several options. Any luck since your last post?

Since the original post I have gotten an offer from them, however what they said was competitive was not the case. Offer is in the mid-70's. I have also received a few other interviews and offers. I'm currently in the end phases of interviews and receiving offers so I can make a decision soon hopefully.

I've been offered a job and am waiting on salary negotiation. I ordered the AAPA salary report and I'm giving them selected pages from it to back up what I'll ask for after they give me a number. If you like the job, try to negotiate. They may be willing to go up if they like you and find out that they are offering below market. What area of medicine/part of the country are you looking at?

Archived