Switching from Nursing school to PA school...a detriment?

.I was convinced to go NP vs PA because I have no background healthcare experience (career changer from corporate world, current have a BBA and MA)...two semesters into the BSN and I can not stand the nursing model! Do PA schools look unfavorably upon a change in programs? My grades are good (3.75gpa at UTHSC Houston, 4.0 Prereqs - still would need to take biochem), but this NANDA stuff is silly. I want to treat the disease, not be worrying about 'risk for situational low self esteem'!

Would this count against me during application process? Can I count my clinical hours as healthcare experience?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I am definitely not an authority on this matter lol....I can say that one of the schools who accepted me during the interview I used the argument of choosing PA instead of NP because PA is based on the medical model whereas NP utilizes the nurse model. Plus, PA has far more diversity that NP IMO. NP is most broad as a FNP, not nearly as versatile as PA :)

I am an RN with my BSN, 2 years experience and was a CNA for 4 + yrs with similar GPA as you, hope this helps!

My .02:

If you decide to switch, the PA programs are gonna wanna know why? Why PA? Why not something else like MD?

If you went into Nursing thinking thats what you wanted but later decided it wasn't. Why? Why will going into PA school be right for you?

Best of LUck

In my experience, as long as you can explain yourself without seeming like you just gave up out of laziness, ignorance, or immaturity, you should be fine. You need to have a reason for wanting PA, more than just a reason for disliking RN. Before you drop your nursing program, I suggest investing some hours in shadowing practicing physician assistants in different specialties. This should be a serious effort to understand what they do and their thoughts about it. Without any healthcare experience you don't know PA is right for you anymore than RN/NP. You were surprised by aspects of nursing education not to your tastes, but you might still end up loving NP as a career - don't drop it until you fully understand the other option you're considering, to prevent any more unwanted surprises. PA might not be everything you think it is, either.

In my class of 25 students we have 3 RN's and two guys were IN nursing school when they got selected for the PA program and quit the RN program. That's 20% of my class making the move from RN to PA. I don't think Medex has much heartburn with the switch.

Those two guys took seats in a nursing program and then left before finishing? What did they want to be, a Nurse or a PA? I don't think they would have gotten into a nursing program by saying "I want to become a PA!" at their interview.

Obviously, I can might be their best interest but I guess I just don't feel like it's very honorable.

I want to treat the disease, not be worrying about 'risk for situational low self esteem'!

I expressed my opinion in the former post, but I urge you to really do some more digging, shadowing and research before you commit to a decision... It seems to be the part of the puzzle you're missing here.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback. MD was first choice but at age 40, I couldn't put my family through that. PA was my next choice but I would be driving 1.5 hours to class each day (and one year of clinical strung throughout rural Texas)...so the option that made most logical sense for me at this time was to go the NP route. I think one poster hit it on the head...hopefully when I get to practice as an NP it will be more of the medical model and less like the nursing model seen at the RN level. And I am by no means bashing RNs, it's just that I never saw myself as an RN so it's an adjustment for me as I move toward the end goal.

Archived