Question about criminal history

Under the "Misdemeanor and Felony Convictions" section on the CASPA application, you just answer YES or NO. I contacted CASPA directly and they indicated there are no prompts to explain the situation or answer additional questions if you answer YES. I will end up answering YES due to a minor in possession from 7 years ago.

When looking at the supplemental application for the program I'm applying to, they only ask "have you ever been convicted of a felony?" OR "have you ever be convicted of a misdemeanor involving threat or violence?" I've never been convicted of either of those. I guess I'm just wondering when I will need to explain the situation? Maybe I could contact the school and ask them if I should do anything else? Or just wait for an interview invite and explain in person?

Thanks. 

Because you were a minor, it might be worth consulting a lawyer. I have heard that some records can be "expunged" and basically never existed, and you wouldn't be obligated to disclose them and they would only show up on a very in-depth background check. But that is state, offense, etc dependant. 

That said, if disclosed, you will absolutely have to explain it in an interview, and even if not disclosed, possibly to get a license, and almost certainly to get a DEA number. For the time being, if there is a way to just list what it was, and that you were a minor when it happened, so the programs at least knows what they are dealing with, that would be helpful. (supplemental docs, or I recall there being a few text fields for random stuff).

Might as well go ahead and start consulting a lawyer now actually, and even your state board, and possibly DEA just to know what hurdles are ahead of you. Don't want to be left wondering when the time comes to get licensed or go looking for a job. 

41 minutes ago, Anachronist said:

Because you were a minor, it might be worth consulting a lawyer. I have heard that some records can be "expunged" and basically never existed, and you wouldn't be obligated to disclose them and they would only show up on a very in-depth background check. But that is state, offense, etc dependant. 

That said, if disclosed, you will absolutely have to explain it in an interview, and even if not disclosed, possibly to get a license, and almost certainly to get a DEA number. For the time being, if there is a way to just list what it was, and that you were a minor when it happened, so the programs at least knows what they are dealing with, that would be helpful. (supplemental docs, or I recall there being a few text fields for random stuff).

Might as well go ahead and start consulting a lawyer now actually, and even your state board, and possibly DEA just to know what hurdles are ahead of you. Don't want to be left wondering when the time comes to get licensed or go looking for a job. 

The program I'm applying to conducts criminal background checks prior to matriculation. Therefore even if I got a lawyer and have the conviction expunged, it probably would to risky to NOT disclose it. 

I've reached out to my state boards and they indicated my past record won't hinder my ability to get a license. I know people with DUIs have gotten DEA numbers so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the thoughts,

Good deal. Yeah I'm not sure about how the whole minor/first time offender expungement thing works, I have only heard about it 2nd and 3rd hand. +1 for your state board getting back to you with a definitive answer. 

Just be ready to talk about/explain it, what you learned from it, how it affected your life etc. They will ask during an interview, and your answer goes a long way. Fortunately, in my opinion anyway, an almost decade old minor in possession charge is not a big red flag to many people. If you make it to an interview, they are already very seriously considering you for admission, so when they ask about it, it is to see how you react and how you explain it in a professional way, so prepare for that, and you should be fine. Best of luck.

Archived