Using Professional Titles

On 2/18/2019 at 5:22 PM, Miaow said:

Hi all! Hope this post finds my fellow PA's happy and healthy. Just to review (as it has been awhile since I last posted), I am a PA in OB/GYN and have been in practice for almost 16 years. I am a PA educator, in full-time practice, in the PA doctoral program and I write PANCE questions for the NCCPA (in case anyone cares to know!). Recently I have been considering how as PA's (and NP's I suppose too) we are always addressed by our first names (ex. "Would you like to see Doctor so-and so or Laura the PA?"). I tend to think that we almost unnecessarily (inadvertently?) demote ourselves in status when we allow ourselves to be addressed by our first names by everyone we encounter. SURE, there are people who we know and are friendly with who are going to call us by our first names and that's a right that a person earns (i.e. I call all the doctors in my clinic by their first names because we are friends and colleagues). My point here isn't to whip people into a frenzy over why it is silly vs. not silly to simply go first name only - my question is this: As PA's should we seek to standardize what we are addressed as by other healthcare professionals? Instead of first name only would it be more professional to be addressed as PA Smith (or whatever) by phone staff, nursing staff, medical staff, etc. to patients and other professionals? Let me hear your opinions, good, bad, indifferent - I want to know how you feel! 

Thanks, 

Laura 

PA [Insert name] was used in the prison system. Obviously they are trying to portray a militaristic type of staff.... Its very cold. Your reviews, compensation and potential legal issues are all tied to how much patient's like you. I'd much prefer they just call me by my first name.

ps.. Im doing the PANRE pilot program...there is an obscene amount of GYN questions.... how many questions re vaginal discharge do you guys really need to ask.... half joking 

Archived