Retake lower level C's/B's, or take upper level science courses?

Hi all,

I am finishing my BS in behavioral neuroscience this semester with an overall GPA of 3.3. I didn't have the drive that I have now, didn't know how to study... I knew too little about myself and I think I started college too early. So I have some C's and quite a few B's on my transcript. I'll list out the main classes I'm concerned about.

Gen Bio I: B. Gen Bio II: C. Gen Bio III: B-. Molecular cell biology: C.

Gen Chem I: B. 

Organic Chem I: B. Organic Chem II: B

Statistics: B.

I took a cellular and molecular neuroscience course last semester (upper level bio) and got an A- so that's good. I am in biochem currently and it looks like I'll do really well so that'll help. I'm also currently in EMT school doing really well (though I know this does not count towards my GPA). I'm building up my PCE working as a CNA, doing undergrad research, and being a TA to compensate for my GPA. I want to show adcoms that I have learned from my mistakes, that I can handle the rigor of science courses, and that I have learned so much about myself through this entire process.

My question is- do I retake the C's and some of the B's of these lower level courses? Or do I accept them as they are, and spend the time taking upper level science courses I have not yet taken? Or a mixture of both? I want to work full time as an EMT but I am definitely taking the time to take courses at my CC. I know my GPA won't be drastically affected by retaking or taking additional courses. I mainly want to show a strong upward trend and that I've learned a lot about myself as a student. I want to show that I'll do whatever it takes to become a PA, and I have that in me now. Thank you so much for any advice as I try to pick out my classes for this summer/fall.

Guest thePAway

When I went to one programs open house and someone asked this question they responded by saying they would prefer you to take additional upper level science courses because ultimately they just want to see if you can handle to rigor of a science course and taking upper level sciences does this, however, I am not sure if different programs prefer different things so you may want to reach out to programs you are interested in and ask them!

Grades average so retaking won't help your GPA as much as taking NEW courses and getting A's.  

The grades are also always going to be seen on your transcript so it's not like you can hide them.

Take upper level science courses and get A's.  As long as your grades meet minimum requirements.

Archived