Jobs during gap year

Hey everyone. I just wanted to get some input from people who may be in the same position as me or anyone who has advice. I recently was accepted to a PA program that starts in January 2020, leaving me an entire year to work before school begins. I have no idea what type of job I would want. I worked as a CNA during undergrad and wouldn't mind doing that if it was my only option.

I figured it wouldn't look very good if I got a job that utilized my bachelors degree (biology) and informed them that I would need to leave basically a year into it. I will be paying for my own rent during PA school so I need to most likely save $800-$1000 a month.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and please let me know if you have any advice! Goodluck to everyone applying to programs and current PA students! 

Personally, I don't find it to be the business of your employer to know your future ambitions or aware of your personal life for that matter. I would not disclose that you will be leaving. Apply for the best paying gig you can find, work as much as possible and save a lot. 

You have no obligation to inform a potential employer that you will be leaving for school in January 2020. If your goal is to save money I would apply broadly and try your best to negotiate. I will note that you may be able to find higher pay as a CNA because you have prior experience. A coworker of mine has a side job as a CNA at a nursing home and makes $20/hr. Additionally whatever job you hold will be on your resume when you apply to PA positions after school. Best of luck to you!

Archived