Sign in to follow this  

cardiology and work-life balance

I'm really interested in cardiology and it comes naturally to me, but having a good work-life balance (I have little ones) is imperative. Is cardiology a realistic field for me?

It really depends on what type of cardiology you choose. There’s strictly outpatient which would provide a fine work balance, there a mix of cath lab and outpatient which provides a decent balance (and varying degree of call) and there’s the surgical aspect which may be elicit more call and less desireable hours. Don’t forget there’s pediatric and adult cardiology as well as transplant programs. 

I've worked for a non-interventional (through diagnostic caths, but not stent placement or permanent pacemakers) cardiologist for nearly 13 years. We do a mix of inpatients and outpatients. In general, we have 24 hours to respond to hospital consults. Some of us round on the weekends from time to time. The days can be long, but we usually get home for dinner. And an interesting part of medicine.