Calling all NHSC scholarship alumni

Hello! I am a current recipient of the NHSC scholarship who will be graduating in May. I'm looking for advice from people who have gone through the job search process. I have some specific questions, such as:

Are there other resources to find leads other than the health workforce website?

Does "approved site" mean I can work there, or would the site need to do something more to be elegible?

I have been googling and found lists of approved sites by state, some of which have a high enough score for my year (18). However, these sites aren't listed on the health workforce site. Does this make them ineligible?

How long before graduation did you start expressing interest to potential sites?

I would also appreciate any more generic advice you might have. I am willing to travel anywhere in the country for the right job/community (I have kids and a husband so I want to go somewhere their needs will be met) and if anyone knows of a good site that might be hiring next summer I would love to hear about that too. ?

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to answer!

• Upvote 1

The site score required is now 18? Holy Batman! That's pretty high. 

The NHSC will recommend you use only the health workforce website but I found a lot of the sites don't update their openings on there. The sites on the the workforce are supposed to be ones that have current agreements with the NHSC. If you feel limited by the website, you can google "community health centers in (name a state here)." Instead of CHC or FQHC you can also search "rural clinics in **" or "critical access hospitals in **" or "indian health centers in **". When you find a place of interest to you I would call them.

Alternatively -and maybe this is easier- you could view HPSA scores of all shortage areas per state through https://data.hrsa.gov/tools/shortage-area. That data warehouse too is also not updated frequently so you might call if you find a place you like but has a score just shy of 18. 

I started looking a year before graduating and had a regional placement advisor who was very helpful. I'd reach out to yours. 

I have been trying to talk to mine for weeks, and the one time she did call me back she asked for Dr. Mylastname and started suggesting that I move to Boca Raton. When I asked about sites there she was like Oh. For a PA there aren't any -___-

I guess I'll just start making phone calls, I just didn't want to start calling and have them tell me it was too early. I have sent out a few emails with my resume and heard nothing back. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

• Like 1

Interesting. I'm sending you a PM with my advisor's info, you can ask for guidance and let her know yours is not particularly helpful.

Also, I forgot to mention that of the top 3 states they made me pick, I ended up with none of them. I kept searching until I found the best fit. Don't settle and don't feel restricted by those states. I never had anyone tell me that I was applying early. Just introduce yourself as an NHSC scholar looking for a PA opening at site with a HPSA score of 18 and give your graduation date. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

@RainOnNeptuneWe need to connect. I am having the same kinds of issues.....

Would be curious to know where you're also looking. I wanted to stay in the same region as my school, but that seems to prove a little difficult..

@MSPACagreed. My advisor is helpful, but s/he too seems to be somewhat..... "clueless" (i'll use that word)

Are you an alumni? What was your score and when? 

• 3 weeks later...

@pelicanfly Hello! 

I did as suggested and requested a change in advisor. It was moderately helpful. The one I have now doesn't seem to know much more but she is more willing to answer questions so that's helpful. I am looking in Western MA and CT mostly, and have pretty much accepted that I will be moving, but I am hopeful that I will be able to move an hour or so away. I need at least an 18. 

Good luck in your search!

• Like 1