Best way to become MA or CNA certified

• 2 weeks later...

If you have any connections to a good doctor, I would definitely foster that and be vocal of your end goal (which I assume is becoming a PA). A few years ago, I expressed my interest in medicine and learning about becoming a provider which lead me to a job in the front office of a derm clinic. The doc took a liking to me, I got more experience, started helping with MA-type paperwork, used the study guide of coworkers, sat for the MA exam and passed. There's a way to sit for the MA exam without graduating from a program if you have the required experience and have a doc sponsor you. It was the best thing that ever happened to me in regards to pre-PA. However, if you're in a time crunch, a short MA program at a community college might be a better bet than gaining the required experience to sit for the exam, albeit more expensive. 

I'd also like to give my .02 and say that I think MA was the better route for me (keeping in mind the end goal) than CNA. I've never worked as a CNA and don't know a TON about it, but I think for the close relationships I was able to build with docs and PAs alone, MA is where it's at. 

• 4 weeks later...

As a pre-PA student who has worked as a CNA for 4 years I would also recommend becoming an MA. Don't get me wrong in that my experience has been invaluable, but where you work as a CNA plays a big role in how much you actually learn about medicine as well as how much you interact with Drs, PAs, etc. I worked in assisted living, skilled nursing and hospitals and the hospital is by far the better experience for pre-PA experience. The other locations have very little interaction with actual providers. (mostly LPNs and maybe a Dr once or twice a week) Working in surgical oncology at a large hospital has lead to great experiences, but I have always wished I had more training or could have greater responsibilities and perform more procedures.

That is why I would say MA would be better, as it has more responsibilities and skills than a CNA. I would have become a MA if I had known it would take 4 years to get in to a program, but we all know what they say about hindsight...

This isn't a certificate you mentioned but you should also look at EMT. I took a 12 week long course where we met once a week for four hours at a time and also had assigned online learning that accompanied in class material. Upon completion of the course, you sat for a written exam and also performed the practicall exam with hired proctors. If you passed both of these successfully you were issued a certificate and allowed to sit for the NREMT. They had night classes during the week and also a class on Saturdays so if you're able to find a program like that where you live it would certainly be doable even while working full time. I used my license to become an ER Tech which was a great experience, but working with an EMS service would be great exposure as well. 

Archived