Suggestions to overcome early, poor grades

Hey all, so I am in my third year applying (second where I have fully invested myself). As I compare my stats to other applicants, I feel that I do have good experience (2 BS degrees, 5k+ hands-on hrs, 100+ PA shadow hrs, 20+ surgical shadow hrs, 130+ volunteer and community service hrs) but I believe my calculated overall GPA is poor due to classes I took when I first started college in 2008. I have since retaken all of the major prerequisite courses due to them being out of date or earning a low grade, but they still seem to haunt my CASPA GPA.

For example:
A&P 1 was a C in 2009 and I retook it in 2017 for an A
A&P 2 was a C in 2009 and I retook it in 2016 for a B
Medical Terminology was a C in 2013 (couldn't take the online midterm due to a delayed flight) and I retook it in 2016 for an A  
A few other courses (non-science electives) that did not transfer towards my degrees.

Even though I retook these courses, my overall GPA stands at a 3.18 and my overall science GPA stands at a 3.27. My last 40 credits which are all core prerequisites (gen chem 1/2 w/ labs, org chem w/lab, biochem, A&P 1/2, Genetics, Microbiology w/ lab, medical terminology, and college algebra) is a 3.52.

Has past, poor grades affected anyone else in their application(s)? How did you overcome it?

Thank you

2 hours ago, mobando said:

Hey all, so I am in my third year applying (second where I have fully invested myself). As I compare my stats to other applicants, I feel that I do have good experience (2 BS degrees, 5k+ hands-on hrs, 100+ PA shadow hrs, 20+ surgical shadow hrs, 130+ volunteer and community service hrs) but I believe my calculated overall GPA is poor due to classes I took when I first started college in 2008. I have since retaken all of the major prerequisite courses due to them being out of date or earning a low grade, but they still seem to haunt my CASPA GPA.

For example:
A&P 1 was a C in 2009 and I retook it in 2017 for an A
A&P 2 was a C in 2009 and I retook it in 2016 for a B
Medical Terminology was a C in 2013 (couldn't take the online midterm due to a delayed flight) and I retook it in 2016 for an A  
A few other courses (non-science electives) that did not transfer towards my degrees.

Even though I retook these courses, my overall GPA stands at a 3.18 and my overall science GPA stands at a 3.27. My last 40 credits which are all core prerequisites (gen chem 1/2 w/ labs, org chem w/lab, biochem, A&P 1/2, Genetics, Microbiology w/ lab, medical terminology, and college algebra) is a 3.52.

Has past, poor grades affected anyone else in their application(s)? How did you overcome it?

Thank you

I have a few questions, what programs are you applying to?  I would only apply to schools that are holistically reviewing applications and give heavy considerations to the last 40-60 units . Have you used the same LORs for all cycles? What kind of positions do they hold and look for what your dream programs recommend. Your PCE is good and you shadowed a good amount to understand the scope. 

3 hours ago, Vg993 said:

I have a few questions, what programs are you applying to?  I would only apply to schools that are holistically reviewing applications and give heavy considerations to the last 40-60 units . Have you used the same LORs for all cycles? What kind of positions do they hold and look for what your dream programs recommend. Your PCE is good and you shadowed a good amount to understand the scope. 

I am a Certified Athletic Trainer and I work at a private physical therapy clinic and did outsource work to women's semi pro soccer and a local high school. I just accepted a new position in a hospital setting as a senior rehab tech. I also have the experience of completing a program which has a clinical and didactic phase and working with MDs, PAs, and other healthcare professionals. I applied to schools all over, no place in particular and only a few repeats. I have used the same PA I shadowed and supervisor (owner/PTs) as a LORs. This is my first year that I earned an interview: one being a developing program which I was waitlisted for and a top 10 school which I am waiting to hear back from.

4 hours ago, mobando said:

I am a Certified Athletic Trainer and I work at a private physical therapy clinic and did outsource work to women's semi pro soccer and a local high school. I just accepted a new position in a hospital setting as a senior rehab tech. I also have the experience of completing a program which has a clinical and didactic phase and working with MDs, PAs, and other healthcare professionals. I applied to schools all over, no place in particular and only a few repeats. I have used the same PA I shadowed and supervisor (owner/PTs) as a LORs. This is my first year that I earned an interview: one being a developing program which I was waitlisted for and a top 10 school which I am waiting to hear back from.

You have good experiences. Waitlisted is still good, there’s movement in majority of programs. It’s still relatively early in the cycle for acceptances so I wouldn't  say there is something crucial you’re missing. Don’t be too hard on yourself. Only the top 5% of applications are invited! Your application has landed you a couple interviews so that says you meet their requirements now you just have to persuade the interview committee. From personal experience I know that a GPA wouldn’t guarantee you an interview. 

Its really the overall picture. Nail your personal statement, ensure your LORs people are supporting and raving about being the best prospective PA student, this requires a good relationship of course which you seem to have!

I think its most likely the programs. Western U has a strong tendency to do GPA cutoffs based on the GPA ranges of applicants. I believe I read something about it being a around a 3.6 for the last class and they only look at applicants at that range or above. Not really a holistic review in my opinion.

I didn’t get a chance to ask if you applied early but it is definitely beneficial for applicants that feel the GPA isn’t their strongest portion of the app, and there’s a greater chance you’ll get an interview if you submit a lot earlier. (My regretful mistake this cycle!)

I know we’re in this limbo space where we jump when our phones ring and consistently check emails all day, but keep busy whether it’s adding a new skill to your toolbox or enrolling into some additional courses to support your upward trend. Programs will notice dedication. 

I hope that helped. I wish you the best this cycle ! 

10 hours ago, Vg993 said:

You have good experiences. Waitlisted is still good, there’s movement in majority of programs. It’s still relatively early in the cycle for acceptances so I wouldn't  say there is something crucial you’re missing. Don’t be too hard on yourself. Only the top 5% of applications are invited! Your application has landed you a couple interviews so that says you meet their requirements now you just have to persuade the interview committee. From personal experience I know that a GPA wouldn’t guarantee you an interview. 

Its really the overall picture. Nail your personal statement, ensure your LORs people are supporting and raving about being the best prospective PA student, this requires a good relationship of course which you seem to have!

I think its most likely the programs. Western U has a strong tendency to do GPA cutoffs based on the GPA ranges of applicants. I believe I read something about it being a around a 3.6 for the last class and they only look at applicants at that range or above. Not really a holistic review in my opinion.

I didn’t get a chance to ask if you applied early but it is definitely beneficial for applicants that feel the GPA isn’t their strongest portion of the app, and there’s a greater chance you’ll get an interview if you submit a lot earlier. (My regretful mistake this cycle!)

I know we’re in this limbo space where we jump when our phones ring and consistently check emails all day, but keep busy whether it’s adding a new skill to your toolbox or enrolling into some additional courses to support your upward trend. Programs will notice dedication. 

I hope that helped. I wish you the best this cycle ! 

Thank you. Yes I did apply in early June for all programs. What i'm also seeing is that some of these programs have bachelors with pre-PA programs where the students are guaranteed a seat as long as they do well in the undergrad. That cuts program seats in half at least which makes it even more difficult when there are more applicants.

The program I was waitlisted for will only have a class of 16 and they interviewed close to 200 people. 

3 hours ago, Vg993 said:

Yeah I’ve noticed it as well! Majority of schools now are giving preferences to undergrads from the institution or within the vicinity. As well preference to certain religious backgrounds. Kinda sucks but it’s the numbers game, not every program is doing this but a good portion of them do state preferences. But this could be an advantage as well if you can find a program that you fit their preferences? 

Holy cannoli! I wonder how many of those interviewed were waitlisted. And see if they have a rank position for you? 200 interviewed is really excessive for 16 seats. But movement happens as people start hearing back from more schools they are less likely to go into a developing program if a “better” program offers them a seat and of course program costs $$$$. I’ve read in these forums people being accepted after waitlisted all the way until a week before the program begins. 

Yeah i've heard that too. It is a school that has both in-state and out-of-state tuition and from what i've seen, they have accepted mostly out of state students because it can bring the program more money for their first year.  They say 16 this year, 22 next year, and 28 the 3rd year and will cap it most likely at 30. The school I was waitlisted for has not received accreditation yet and are planning on a Jan 2019 start so there is that possibility that other candidates will take what they get. They do not offer numbers for waitlist.

It totally is a numbers game and i'm growing accustomed to accepting rejections.  What research/schools have you found that actually look at the student and not just numbers?

• 4 months later...

Research and apply to programs which take a more holistic approach the the application and admissions process. 

My stats:

1st BS degree GPA: 2.7

2nd BS degree GPA: 3.5

Post-Bacc GPA: 3.7

My CASPA weighted GPA was approx 2.91 because I was originally a pharmacy major and got destroyed during the first three years of school where we were maxing out credit hours which made it difficult to get out of the GPA hole. I had similar HCE hours to you but was also a TA for human cadaver lab for two years. Make sure your personal statement stands out along with your LoRs. 

Bottom line: it's totally possible 🙂

Archived