ED/Urgent Care salary/hourly question Massachusetts

Hey everybody, 

I am about 9 months into clinicals and I am writing in hopes that somebody from the boston area (or surrounding) would be kind enough to tell me what new grads are averaging in and around the area. I did my ED rotation a while ago but had a "different" kind of relationship with my preceptor and didn't quite feel comfortable asking what grads were being offered or making. Rumors float around all the time and I have heard of a new grad accepting an offer for 125k at an urgent care working 3 days a week and I have heard of an ED PA being offered 92k at 40 hours per week..... So I really have no idea what to expect. 

I'm not from the boston area, but I do work in a large metropolitan city similar to Boston (NYC). Most new grads by my have been taking positions in the 105-115k range in ER/urgent care, with one of my former students in particular taking a position of 125k in an ER in the city. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Lucy. I work in Boston. I work in both an UCC (per diem) and in an ED. New grads in large academic centers, think MGH, Tufts, BWH start between $44-$51 hourly ($92k-$106k). These are usually 36 hour/wk positions. Some offer differential for night and weekend (ex: $4-$7 additional per hour). These positions are highly competitive and can be difficult to land for new graduates. On the contrary they don't pay extremely well and you work hard, so they aren't as desirable for APPs with some years of experience under their belt that can likely negotiate a higher rate in hospitals slightly outside of the city. Urgent Care you could easily find a position making $65 hourly ($135k). The one I am sure about is $135k 36 hour per week (3 days) and I believe 2 on call shifts per month. Some of the urgent care locations in and around the city require that you are comfortable as a sole provider and the volume can be high.

Congrats on being almost finished with PA school. You rock! Emergency Medicine is a great choice, if you're still leaning in that direction. If you have any other questions feel free to message me!

Archived