Memorandum of Transfer requirements

We had our quarterly urgent care meeting last night and we were informed that from now on when we send a person from the UC to our own ER we needed to execute a MOT. I have done lots of these when transferring to another hospital or system but it seems to me completing a MOT to send a patient by EMS from our UC to our ER is a huge waste of time and not required. I can't imaging the ER docs are going to be thrilled with the number of calls that will generate during their work day. We have 6 UC centers and it is a rare day I don't send someone out by EMS and I have sent 7 in 12 hours. I have tried to find some resources on when MOTs are and are not required and find a solid answer that applies to us. All the information I can find applies to transfers from hospital to hospital.

I do an EMTALA form for inter-hospital transfers.  Unless your UC is part of the hospital I don't know why a form would be required.  When I worked in UC, all of my ambulance transfers were via 911.  It was an expected part of professional courtesy to call the ED prior to or concurrently with sending the patient - also good to document the name of the receiving doc.

Archived