Preparing for Interventional Radiology Rotation

For those of you who have done an elective rotation in IR or currently work in IR - any recommendations for study materials to help me prepare? Generally prefer print over online content but open to all suggestions. I don't have a strong radiology background outside of the ER so I want to start studying for this rotation ahead of time. Thanks in advance! 

Edited by karebear12892

I did an IR rotation, currently work IR as a PRN PA one day a week. The two books I listed below are top notch, but I'd only recommend buying them if you really see yourself going into IR. Otherwise, you won't be expected to know much of the content as a student on rotation and can hold on to your money.

Biggest pieces of advice:

• read up on pertinent anatomy as well as technique for the procedures. It's helpful to have an understanding of the step-by-step process.
  • You'll hear of the Seldinger technique often. That's bread & butter vascular access technique and one you should definitely read up on.
  • Befriend the scrub techs. Let them guide you and hand hold you your first week so that you look like a stud on your last 1/2 of the rotation. Actually being scrubbed in and getting your hands dirty is the best way to learn
  • Day 1, be sure to find out which lead you should wear (docs can be territorial about them) and always remember to wear your thyroid shield and eye shields. That will be provided by the practice.

Otherwise IR is a really nice rotation for PA students because it's definitely a "see 3, assist on 3, do 1 before the end of your rotation" if your preceptor trusts you and you show genuine interest. 

https://shop.lww.com/Handbook-of-Interventional-Radiologic-Procedures/p/9781496302076?promocode=WJ03LCZZ&cid=pe-sitewide-lww-paidsearch-wj03lczz-seer_main_pla_shopping_r&promocode=wj03lczz&pid=pe-sitewide-lww-paidsearch-wj03lczz-seer_main_pla_shopping_r&gclid=CjwKCAjwh9_bBRA_EiwApObaOCuTTVyd7ZU58jOcFg8Iw4dvMPtFpgIc7jNotQeukKV7S3xHzF9hwxoCgAEQAvD_BwE

https://www.abebooks.com/Vascular-Interventional-Radiology-Requisites-John-Kaufman/14619608290/bd?cm_mmc=gmc-_-used-_-PLA-_-v01

• Like 2

Great advice! I'm not planning on a career in IR, but I might still purchase a used copy of one of the books you recommended and sell it back to Amazon at the end of the rotation, just to have a solid reference available. I am familiar with the Seldinger technique from central line placement in the ER but will definitely read up on it more. Thank you so much! 

• 2 years later...
On 8/18/2018 at 6:32 PM, beattie228 said:

I did an IR rotation, currently work IR as a PRN PA one day a week. The two books I listed below are top notch, but I'd only recommend buying them if you really see yourself going into IR. Otherwise, you won't be expected to know much of the content as a student on rotation and can hold on to your money.

Biggest pieces of advice:

• read up on pertinent anatomy as well as technique for the procedures. It's helpful to have an understanding of the step-by-step process.
  • You'll hear of the Seldinger technique often. That's bread & butter vascular access technique and one you should definitely read up on.
  • Befriend the scrub techs. Let them guide you and hand hold you your first week so that you look like a stud on your last 1/2 of the rotation. Actually being scrubbed in and getting your hands dirty is the best way to learn
  • Day 1, be sure to find out which lead you should wear (docs can be territorial about them) and always remember to wear your thyroid shield and eye shields. That will be provided by the practice.

Otherwise IR is a really nice rotation for PA students because it's definitely a "see 3, assist on 3, do 1 before the end of your rotation" if your preceptor trusts you and you show genuine interest. 

https://shop.lww.com/Handbook-of-Interventional-Radiologic-Procedures/p/9781496302076?promocode=WJ03LCZZ&cid=pe-sitewide-lww-paidsearch-wj03lczz-seer_main_pla_shopping_r&promocode=wj03lczz&pid=pe-sitewide-lww-paidsearch-wj03lczz-seer_main_pla_shopping_r&gclid=CjwKCAjwh9_bBRA_EiwApObaOCuTTVyd7ZU58jOcFg8Iw4dvMPtFpgIc7jNotQeukKV7S3xHzF9hwxoCgAEQAvD_BwE

https://www.abebooks.com/Vascular-Interventional-Radiology-Requisites-John-Kaufman/14619608290/bd?cm_mmc=gmc-_-used-_-PLA-_-v01

Hey! I'm sorry to be responding to your post almost 3 years later, but I'm wondering if you would be able to help me find an IR rotation? I'm currently a PA student and start clinical rotations in March 2022. I'm very interested in IR, and I'm having a hard time finding a rotation. If you have time, would you be able to help me? If you can't for whatever reason, that's completely okay, I just thought I'd exhaust my resources!