Upcoming Applicant Reviews & Advice ; Help?!?

Hi Everyone,

I am currently attending UIUC in the midwest for my undergrad. I have been following UC DAVIS / Other west coast school's PA-Programs Pre-Reqs. I am an upcoming junior majoring in Community Health - Concentration Health and Administration and hopefully a minor in something (Debating between a Bio Minor or Business minor). I have officially decided that I want to do PA instead of Med-school because I will be genuinely happier and dedicated (less schooling, doing similar stuff in the hospital). I am almost done with my CNA course but am wondering how many hours (clinical hours) is recommended for the program. Should I get my Medical Assistant Certification as well? Did anyone have to take Spanish or any type of language?  I'm just very nervous about applying and don't know what to expect. Should I take a gap year to work for clinical hours? If you were accepted to the program can you share what your stats were like? (Hours, GPA, major, courses taken?)  I'm kind of new to the whole PA thing but am really into it! Thank you all!

I will be moving to California after my undergrad (It is not only for PA school but for other reasons as well). 

20 hours ago, Randall said:

Hi Everyone,

I am currently attending UIUC in the midwest for my undergrad. I have been following UC DAVIS / Other west coast school's PA-Programs Pre-Reqs. I am an upcoming junior majoring in Community Health - Concentration Health and Administration and hopefully a minor in something (Debating between a Bio Minor or Business minor). I have officially decided that I want to do PA instead of Med-school because I will be genuinely happier and dedicated (less schooling, doing similar stuff in the hospital). I am almost done with my CNA course but am wondering how many hours (clinical hours) is recommended for the program. Should I get my Medical Assistant Certification as well? Did anyone have to take Spanish or any type of language?  I'm just very nervous about applying and don't know what to expect. Should I take a gap year to work for clinical hours? If you were accepted to the program can you share what your stats were like? (Hours, GPA, major, courses taken?)  I'm kind of new to the whole PA thing but am really into it! Thank you all!

I will be moving to California after my undergrad (It is not only for PA school but for other reasons as well). 

So exciting you chose to pursue a career as a PA! I was fortunate enough to have my older brother help me with all of this stuff so here's some things that I found helpful (For reference this is my first year applying but this is my personal take on the matter).

If you're interested in a program simply type in such and such school PA Program into google (UC Davis PA Program in particular) and it will take you to their website. There you can find FAQ, pre-req info, required/recommended courses, etc! I will leave the link below for this program in specific. Most of your questions will be answered by simply following the link!

The more patient care hours you can get the better! This will make you a stronger applicant by not only having an abundance of hours but having quality experience understanding how to effectively communicate with medical staff and patients alike. I personally took a "gap year" following my graduation in December of 2016 and worked full time as a physical therapy technician to gain my patient care hours.

Hope this helps a bit and good luck with your degree!

https://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/nursing/admissions/programs/mhs-pa.html

Archived