Math Question!!

Hi everyone

I am soon to be starting my first job and I have a question regarding the amount of hours I am expected to work per year. This might sound like a stupid question, but it’s my first real job and I am unsure how salaried positions work  

I will be paid salary, biweekly. I am required to work “13 12.5-hour shifts per month.”

So in figuring out the amount of hours I will be working would it be 13 x 12.5 x 12 = 1950 hours/year?

or is it 12.5 x 3 x 52= 1950 + (12.5 x 12) = 2100 hours per year? In this way, I am calculating that I will be working 3 times per week for 52 weeks. And then I am adding the extra shift that I need to work per month since it’s 13 shifts not 12 per month. 

I am just curious which is the actually way because there are 26 pay periods (for 52 weeks) and I am unsure if I should calculate weekly or monthly when it comes to hours.  

If you are salaried, you'll be paid the same amount each of the 26 pay periods provided you meet the shift requirements.

If you are hourly, you'll submit hours worked during the time period and be paid accordingly (usually down to the 15 minute increment). You typically clock in and out if you're hourly.

1950 hours annually is correct if you are to work thirteen 12.5 hr shifts per month.

Thank you for your response!

Now I guess the reason why I am kinda confused is because it seems that by doing 12.5 x 13 x 12 it seems like i am calculating for 48 weeks, not 52. 

Like let’s say the requirement was 40 hours per week. If that was the case it would be 40 x 52= 2080 correct?

Am I missing something here?

2 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

Also remember that "required" is a minimum number of hours to get your salary. They can work you more hours and not pay you any extra if you are salaried/exempt.

In regards to your statement, that is working extra passed the 12.5 hours in your shift, correct? Like if you worked 13 or 13.5 hours in that shift you won’t get paid extra?

I am exempt and they said I can pick up extra shifts that will be paid out at an hourly rate if I wanted to. 

Then you are probably ok. Yes you can work longer than your shift and not get paid. You could be given extra shifts and not get paid but people who do that don't keep employees very long. It is just one of those things I always keep in mind.

Personally I will never be salaried again just because I have been abused in that regard as have some of my colleagues. Hourly or nothing for me.  Lots of people do fine being salaried. It tends to depend on the employer.

Are you required to work thirteen shifts per month or three shifts per week? That's what it comes down to. Three shifts per week doesn't always come out to an even twelve shifts per month.

Second the other responses. IMHO shift work shouldnt be salaried. I once worked in an urgent care that was salaried provided I worked twelve shifts per month. It was a headache to switch shifts because they had to be in the time period and getting paid for an extra shift took forever.

If you are salaried, you will be paid for your 12.5 hour shift whether you work 6 hours or 20 hours (in theory). There should be a clause that you get paid for working an extra shift, which means working on a scheduled off day or doing fourteen shifts in the month.

Archived