Forced to work in a new specialty

I work for a small critical access hospital in AZ.

I was hired as a surgical PA who helped in General surgery clinic and first assisted for general, ortho and ob/gyn. I was also seeing pts in the wound clinic as well. This slowly turned into seeing pts in the family clinic and just first assisting as there was a need in the family clinic. They now want me to drop family clinic where I have been for 2 years and switch over to Ortho as there is again... a need. The reason for this is because the hospital hired another PA for only family clinic when we didn't really need one. The orthopedic dr isn't really that busy but says that he may leave if he doesn't get help. Administration has approached me about switching to Ortho full time. I am comfortable with where I am at in the family clinic and assisting in surgery as needed. They are asking me to drop and pick a new area of medicine on the drop of a dime. My contract says that I work at the hospital and clinic, it does not define what my roles are (huge mistake on my part). I feel like I am getting the short end of the stick here, as they are catering to this new hire PA. At what point does it become excessive to keep switching? Can I say no? Has anyone else worked for a  small hospital where they have been asked/told to change specialties? I am at a loss of what to do. I don't really want to work in ortho full time and have expressed those feelings but I expect them to force me. Thoughts?

I am also contemplating that if they make me do this, and want me to essentially be a PA who can cover all clinics (family, gen surgery, ortho, and wound clinic) at a moments notice then they need to pay me more...

6 hours ago, Rbnz said:

I am also contemplating that if they make me do this, and want me to essentially be a PA who can cover all clinics (family, gen surgery, ortho, and wound clinic) at a moments notice then they need to pay me more...

This...times 1000!

But, I agree it is ridiculous to expect you to just jump around  all the time, but they may also think you enjoy that.  In some ways I think I personally would enjoy that type of position, but definitely understand that most likely would not.

Archived