When to Apply

Hey guys,

So I am finishing an O Chem course as we speak (done 7/31), and want to apply as soon as it hits my transcripts.  I would just like to make sure I am doing this correctly.

As soon as this course is done, and it hits my transcript, THEN I will give the last school the Transcript Request Form?  Once that is sent, I am assuming I will wait until it is Arrived in the Check Status tab of CASPA, and then what is the next step?  Then is it the Review & Finalize My Transcripts blue button in the Transcript Entry tab?  

I am assuming that is how this will go, and being that some of my school choices (including my #1) have deadlines of 9/1, I am convinced that all of these processes will not happen fast enough for me ?

Any pro-Caspa'er advice would be appreciated!  Thanks!

10 hours ago, RadTek2PA said:

Hey guys,

So I am finishing an O Chem course as we speak (done 7/31), and want to apply as soon as it hits my transcripts.  I would just like to make sure I am doing this correctly.

As soon as this course is done, and it hits my transcript, THEN I will give the last school the Transcript Request Form?  Once that is sent, I am assuming I will wait until it is Arrived in the Check Status tab of CASPA, and then what is the next step?  Then is it the Review & Finalize My Transcripts blue button in the Transcript Entry tab?  

I am assuming that is how this will go, and being that some of my school choices (including my #1) have deadlines of 9/1, I am convinced that all of these processes will not happen fast enough for me ?

Any pro-Caspa'er advice would be appreciated!  Thanks!

You’re giving yourself a really narrow window here and applying very late in the cycle. Are the schools you’re applying to rolling admissions? Is this grade going to make or break your science GPA? Why not just apply now while it’s in progress? 

For one, even if you finish this course on 7/31 grades can take up to a week to post. Your professor should know when grades are due and could likely give you a concrete date if you asked. 

After this, depending on your school it can take up to a week to process your transcript request and send your transcript out to CASPA. Some schools I attended mailed in 2 days, other much longer. The registrar can likely let you know how long this will take. 

After that, CASPA has to receive your transcript and then the verification process will begin. At the end of the cycle I would think this would take at least a week, maybe two due to increased submissions right before deadlines. 

All this to say, your timeline is tight and will be a disadvantage in your application cycle. If everything doesn’t go perfectly it’s possible you could miss the deadline. 

As far as logistics of CASPA, you review and finalize prior to submission. As soon as you input your grades press that button and complete that section. Then submit and get in line for verification. Process will start when your transcript arrives. You don’t need to wait for it’s arrival to submit. 

Hey thanks for the input.

Well I would happily apply now without it, but its Ochem1, pretty much every program requires it...

I reached out to one of the schools, concerned with how late I’d be applying, and they said its more important to have the application complete than early.  I know I am at a real disadvantage this late, and its a long shot, but I might as well try.  It will at least get me more familiar with the process and more ready for next cycle!

1 hour ago, RadTek2PA said:

Hey thanks for the input.

Well I would happily apply now without it, but its Ochem1, pretty much every program requires it...

I reached out to one of the schools, concerned with how late I’d be applying, and they said its more important to have the application complete than early.  I know I am at a real disadvantage this late, and its a long shot, but I might as well try.  It will at least get me more familiar with the process and more ready for next cycle!

I understand it’s a requirement for some programs, but essentially every program allows you to have 1 prerequisite in progress at the time of application. 

That is a good point, but I have seen specific "pre-requisites need to be completed prior to applying". 

It is worth contacting them about.  I have heard of applications never really getting all the way through due to their incompleteness and I wanted to be safe. 

Thanks

10 hours ago, RadTek2PA said:

That is a good point, but I have seen specific "pre-requisites need to be completed prior to applying". 

It is worth contacting them about.  I have heard of applications never really getting all the way through due to their incompleteness and I wanted to be safe. 

Thanks

I agree that in an ideal situation all prerequisites would be complete before submitting. You just need to see if programs you are personally apply to allow in progress prerequisites.

If I were you I would be more concerned about having your application submitted and verified by the 9/1 deadline that many programs have.

After pushing your 7/31 date back to give time for grades to post and then pushing it back again for your transcript request to be processed and sent to CASPA, you’re likely looking at least mid August before you’re placed in line for verification. And that’s if everything goes perfectly. 

Leaving yourself two weeks or less to be verified leaves a lot up to chance. 

Archived