Shadowing vs. Health care experience HELP!

Hi everyone! I am currently entering in my experiences on CASPA and I was wondering what to do about my shadowing hours. I have shadowed a physician at a hospital for about 60 hours now and certain days I would get to help with checking reflexes, eye or nose examinations and helping patients get adjusted in bed or before procedures. I was wondering if I would be able to count these as healthcare or patient care experiences even though they were done while shadowing a doctor? Should I split the time up between the two? Thanks so much! 

Even if you helped with examinations while shadowing, I would shy away from mentioning this. For one, often times it is against hospital/clinic policy to assist in patient care as a shadow - it's kind of an ethical gray area that could be seen in a negative light. Also, you're not qualified or certified to accurately examine a patient and it's not in their best interest for you to do so. 

All shadowing falls in the shadowing category, not clinical experience. Keep it simple! 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived