What are my chances: PA/MPH Programs --please read!

Here are my stats: please give me some feedback if you can. Thank you!

• Undergrad GPA: 3.701
  • Undergrad Major: Biology
  • Years since graduation: 1 yr and 3months
  • What I have been doing for 1 yr and 3 months: I have been working as an ER-tech and also I lead medical mission trips to Haiti several times a year. Planning two more in May and June this year.
  • My goals: My goals in life is to work in the medical field at the same time I want to be able to plan medical mission trips, organize fundraisers, and work with and support nonprofit organization in third world countries.
  • My background: Born in the USA by Haitian parents while they were visiting (parents are missionaries), so I am a US citizen. A couple months after my birth, my parents took me back to Haiti where I spent 17 years of my life. I came to the USA 7 years ago because of political issues and violence that were going on in my country. English is my third language and I learned it when I came here 6 years ago. Since I've been here, I've been involved in a lot of missionary work, giving speeches to raise money, and basically using my background and my story to help my country. I have been very successful at that.
  • Volunteer: For 5 years I've volunteered at a free clinic (no PAs, just physicians); I have been volunteering at the shepherd's table for a year now.
  • Shadowing PA: None, but I plan to start in a month or so.
  • Issues I am having now: I have decided after almost a year and a half working in the ER as a tech, that I would like to further my education. I am looking at PA/MBA or PA/MPH programs now. I think the life of a PA and what I will be doing will allow me to be in the medical field, and also the knowledge of the public health field will help me expand my missionary work in third world countries. Could I be wrong?
  • Date I want to be admitted to PA school: Summer 2013
  • GRE: have not taken. What is the best way to study for it? and how long will I need? what books to buy?
  • Letter of recommendations: From Physicians? or PAs? college Professors?
  • Prereq: I have everything but Anatomy and Physiology 2 which I will be taking this summer.

When do you think is the best time to take my GRE?

Do you think I have a chance of getting admitted for next year?

Any PA/MPH programs that you know of? (I am willing to go anywhere I get accepted)

Any other advice you would give?

Thank you so much.

Here are my stats: please give me some feedback if you can. Thank you!

• Undergrad GPA: 3.701
  • Undergrad Major: Biology
  • Years since graduation: 1 yr and 3months
  • What I have been doing for 1 yr and 3 months: I have been working as an ER-tech and also I lead medical mission trips to Haiti several times a year. Planning two more in May and June this year.
  • My goals: My goals in life is to work in the medical field at the same time I want to be able to plan medical mission trips, organize fundraisers, and work with and support nonprofit organization in third world countries.
  • My background: Born in the USA by Haitian parents while they were visiting (parents are missionaries), so I am a US citizen. A couple months after my birth, my parents took me back to Haiti where I spent 17 years of my life. I came to the USA 7 years ago because of political issues and violence that were going on in my country. English is my third language and I learned it when I came here 6 years ago. Since I've been here, I've been involved in a lot of missionary work, giving speeches to raise money, and basically using my background and my story to help my country. I have been very successful at that.
  • Volunteer: For 5 years I've volunteered at a free clinic (no PAs, just physicians); I have been volunteering at the shepherd's table for a year now.
  • Shadowing PA: None, but I plan to start in a month or so.
  • Issues I am having now: I have decided after almost a year and a half working in the ER as a tech, that I would like to further my education. I am looking at PA/MBA or PA/MPH programs now. I think the life of a PA and what I will be doing will allow me to be in the medical field, and also the knowledge of the public health field will help me expand my missionary work in third world countries. Could I be wrong?
  • Date I want to be admitted to PA school: Summer 2013
  • GRE: have not taken. What is the best way to study for it? and how long will I need? what books to buy?
  • Letter of recommendations: From Physicians? or PAs? college Professors?
  • Prereq: I have everything but Anatomy and Physiology 2 which I will be taking this summer.

When do you think is the best time to take my GRE?

Do you think I have a chance of getting admitted for next year?

Any PA/MPH programs that you know of? (I am willing to go anywhere I get accepted)

Any other advice you would give?

Thank you so much.

Study for the GRE and shadow a PA - a lot of programs want to see that you understand what a PA does. You don't mention working with any PAs, so why do you want to become one? Why not med school?

I used a Kaplan comprehensive book for the GRE - didn't need a course or anything like that, but I'm good at standardized tests. Really you just need to learn the format of the test, a couple of strategies, and practice the questions. Set a date to take it now, start looking at the book now, but really study about a week beforehand (of course, if you're worse at standardized tests and/or math, you may want to study a bit more). Take it whenever you'll be least stressed.

Find a PA and start shadowing now - a lot of programs might question you in an interview as to why you haven't shadowed yet and how you know you want to be a PA without seeing what one does. It sounds like you already have a plan for that, though, so that's great.

I can't say for sure, but I feel that public health would really help with your career plans. I would make those plans clear, if not in your personal statement, then definitely in supplemental apps to programs.

LORs depend on the program. Start communicating with potential programs now.

So: look through programs that are a good fit for your plans, that you have the pre-reqs for (including HCE hours), and that are in places you wouldn't mind living for 2-3 years. PAEA has a list of programs, and there are tons all over the internet. Also try looking through the program threads on this forum, as those are helpful as well. I think you are definitely on track to apply this summer, and your care experience should be sufficient for a lot of programs. My only question remaining as far as your intentions go is why PA now? Were you looking to go to med school before? It seems like you've done the research for what's required of getting into PA school, so you have that going for you.

George Washington, Touro (California), and Yale come immediately to mind as programs that also have a MPH option.

Study for the GRE and shadow a PA - a lot of programs want to see that you understand what a PA does. You don't mention working with any PAs, so why do you want to become one? Why not med school?

I used a Kaplan comprehensive book for the GRE - didn't need a course or anything like that, but I'm good at standardized tests. Really you just need to learn the format of the test, a couple of strategies, and practice the questions. Set a date to take it now, start looking at the book now, but really study about a week beforehand (of course, if you're worse at standardized tests and/or math, you may want to study a bit more). Take it whenever you'll be least stressed.

Find a PA and start shadowing now - a lot of programs might question you in an interview as to why you haven't shadowed yet and how you know you want to be a PA without seeing what one does. It sounds like you already have a plan for that, though, so that's great.

I can't say for sure, but I feel that public health would really help with your career plans. I would make those plans clear, if not in your personal statement, then definitely in supplemental apps to programs.

LORs depend on the program. Start communicating with potential programs now.

So: look through programs that are a good fit for your plans, that you have the pre-reqs for (including HCE hours), and that are in places you wouldn't mind living for 2-3 years. PAEA has a list of programs, and there are tons all over the internet. Also try looking through the program threads on this forum, as those are helpful as well. I think you are definitely on track to apply this summer, and your care experience should be sufficient for a lot of programs. My only question remaining as far as your intentions go is why PA now? Were you looking to go to med school before? It seems like you've done the research for what's required of getting into PA school, so you have that going for you.

George Washington, Touro (California), and Yale come immediately to mind as programs that also have a MPH option.

Thank you all so much for you replies and questions.

Why not MD, Why PA now? well when I chose to major in Biology in 2006 I could barely speak English. Back in Haiti I excelled in all my science classes, so to me with the language barrier at the time and for an easier transition, it was obvious to major in biology. After undergrad I gave myself options such as graduate degree in biology, medical school, PA school, physical therapy school, nursing school etc. But I knew whatever path I chose, to be completely fulfilled, I would need to somehow balance that life with my calling to do missionary work. So I decided to start working in the emergency room right after I graduated to give me an idea of what medical care is like in the USA. I don't choose the medical school route because the lifestyle of a physician will not allow me to achieve my dreams completely (too much debt, less intense lifestyle, family is very important to me, too long before I can actually start using my gift in the medical field to serve)...I feel more peaceful when I see myself 10 or 20 years from today as a PA than as a physician. I don't think I will be fulfilled and I don't want to live with that all my life.

Why I haven't shadowed a PA? There are PAs in the ER that I work with, but since I am an employee there I cannot shadow or follow them around on the clock. That's why I have an idea of what they do - in the emergency room at least. Also, for a year I just wanted to work and slowly choose a career path for my life. Now that I've decided on PA school, I am already looking for PAs outside of the ER to shadow and I am looking forward to learning more about the field.

Thanks again.

What I am going to work on:

-Start looking and choosing programs

-Write my personal statement

-Find PAs to shadow

-Study for GRE

-Letters of Recommendation

-Work on application process

It is a lot to do, but I am so excited to start this journey!

Thank you all so much for you replies and questions.

Why not MD, Why PA now? well when I chose to major in Biology in 2006 I could barely speak English. Back in Haiti I excelled in all my science classes, so to me with the language barrier at the time and for an easier transition, it was obvious to major in biology. After undergrad I gave myself options such as graduate degree in biology, medical school, PA school, physical therapy school, nursing school etc. But I knew whatever path I chose, to be completely fulfilled, I would need to somehow balance that life with my calling to do missionary work. So I decided to start working in the emergency room right after I graduated to give me an idea of what medical care is like in the USA. I don't choose the medical school route because the lifestyle of a physician will not allow me to achieve my dreams completely (too much debt, less intense lifestyle, family is very important to me, too long before I can actually start using my gift in the medical field to serve)...I feel more peaceful when I see myself 10 or 20 years from today as a PA than as a physician. I don't think I will be fulfilled and I don't want to live with that all my life.

Why I haven't shadowed a PA? There are PAs in the ER that I work with, but since I am an employee there I cannot shadow or follow them around on the clock. That's why I have an idea of what they do - in the emergency room at least. Also, for a year I just wanted to work and slowly choose a career path for my life. Now that I've decided on PA school, I am already looking for PAs outside of the ER to shadow and I am looking forward to learning more about the field.

Thanks again.

What I am going to work on:

-Start looking and choosing programs

-Write my personal statement

-Find PAs to shadow

-Study for GRE

-Letters of Recommendation

-Work on application process

It is a lot to do, but I am so excited to start this journey!

I am applying to PA/MPH programs as well and your stats look great!

Now, GRE scores are usually higher with MPH applicants than PA applicants but science grades are usually not as high. You science GPA is killer so just do fairly well on your GREs and you will be set =) Also the fact that you worked with underprivileged populations outside of the US makes you a great candidate for PA and MPH programs alike and you also speak more than 1 language.

Also, I know that the MPH programs I am looking into (Emory and GW) want recommendation letters from PhD professors while PA programs would like to see at least 1 recommendation letter from a PA. Try to shadow a PA for a few hours at a hospital or private clinic. Research also looks good with MPH programs.

Dont forget that you need to apply through BOTH SOPHAS and CASPA to apply to dual PA/MPH programs and you need to be accepted in BOTH schools to be in the dual degree program. The deadlines for dual degrees differ from traditional PA deadlines sometimes so be ready and apply early. I am already slightly panicked with the double degree application process!

Hope that helped and good luck nevaldem!

I am applying to PA/MPH programs as well and your stats look great!

Now, GRE scores are usually higher with MPH applicants than PA applicants but science grades are usually not as high. You science GPA is killer so just do fairly well on your GREs and you will be set =) Also the fact that you worked with underprivileged populations outside of the US makes you a great candidate for PA and MPH programs alike and you also speak more than 1 language.

Also, I know that the MPH programs I am looking into (Emory and GW) want recommendation letters from PhD professors while PA programs would like to see at least 1 recommendation letter from a PA. Try to shadow a PA for a few hours at a hospital or private clinic. Research also looks good with MPH programs.

Dont forget that you need to apply through BOTH SOPHAS and CASPA to apply to dual PA/MPH programs and you need to be accepted in BOTH schools to be in the dual degree program. The deadlines for dual degrees differ from traditional PA deadlines sometimes so be ready and apply early. I am already slightly panicked with the double degree application process!

Hope that helped and good luck nevaldem!

Archived