Zero Sum Game ???

My primary position is with a small group that has held a long-term contract at a community (suburban) hospital. By small, I mean 10 partners and 4 MLPs. The MLPs (2PA and 2NP) are utilized in the fast track 98% of the time. I feel like I am playing a zero sum game with the docs when it comes to money. They view any increase in pay for us as a decrease in pay for themselves and compensate accordingly. They compensate at the mid-range of the market which is fair. It is just the attitude when it comes to us and money. We are viewed as a cost center when, in reality, we are a profit center. This attitude does not seem to be the case with my other PRN jobs with large firms where my pay is independent of the physician compensation (at least in a direct sense).

If you work in a small group.....how does this dynamic play out in your world??

Browndog

My primary position is with a small group that has held a long-term contract at a community (suburban) hospital. By small, I mean 10 partners and 4 MLPs. The MLPs (2PA and 2NP) are utilized in the fast track 98% of the time. I feel like I am playing a zero sum game with the docs when it comes to money. They view any increase in pay for us as a decrease in pay for themselves and compensate accordingly. They compensate at the mid-range of the market which is fair. It is just the attitude when it comes to us and money. We are viewed as a cost center when, in reality, we are a profit center. This attitude does not seem to be the case with my other PRN jobs with large firms where my pay is independent of the physician compensation (at least in a direct sense).

If you work in a small group.....how does this dynamic play out in your world??

Browndog

• 2 weeks later...

Archived