Employer Loan Repayment Question

I receive $10,000 per year from my employer as student loan repayment toward my PA school loans.  It works out to basically $384.62/paycheck (26 checks/year). It's wonderful and I'm not complaining, but something seems weird with my paychecks.  I am painfully aware that employer loan repayment is taxed as income, but when I compare my paychecks before I started receiving the loan repayment to after the loan repayment I make a net $274.84/paycheck.  That is a total of $109.78 being taken out for taxes, or something else that I don't see.

That is a 28.5% tax rate, in comparison to my "normal paycheck" that is taxed at 22.4% (still WAY too much being withheld, but will handle that separately).  Does this seem weird, or is there an explanation that I missing?

I will admit I am not terribly tax savvy, but did the $10,000 count as "income", and bump you to a higher tax bracket? There is no federal tax bracket of 28.5%, but I assume the way you are deducing taxes takes into account all deductions (i.e. Fed, state, SS, etc). I am tired, so this may not even be coherent, much less applicable...

That is what I initially thought, but I would expect income, whether it is broken into categories by my employer, would be taxed at the same effective rate...I'm confused and unless someone can help I guess I'll just have to ask.  Wouldn't be the first time someone else's mathematical error almost cost me money.

Archived