Just for fun scenario, again.

<O:p</O:pStats for this student: 3.92 GPA, 3.80 science, 1410 GRE, 5100 HCE (In whatever position you would consider excellent) excellent LORs, just a great, great catch for any program, overwhelming awesomeness… Applies to 5 schools. Accepted to 4, declined the interview invite for the 5th.

This student places acceptance deposits with 4 schools because they are struggling with the decision of which school to attend. Let’s say all 4 schools have a start date of Aug 15th. Do you feel there is a point (number of days before the programs start date) that would be considered rude or unfair to this student to continue to hold up 3 spots?<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

Or do you feel something along the lines of: “that student was accepted to 4 programs, they have every right to weigh until a decision is made, regardless of the time it takes?”

This is by NO MEANS, me... so carte blanche on commenting.<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:pStats for this student: 3.92 GPA, 3.80 science, 1410 GRE, 5100 HCE (In whatever position you would consider excellent) excellent LORs, just a great, great catch for any program, overwhelming awesomeness… Applies to 5 schools. Accepted to 4, declined the interview invite for the 5th.

This student places acceptance deposits with 4 schools because they are struggling with the decision of which school to attend. Let’s say all 4 schools have a start date of Aug 15th. Do you feel there is a point (number of days before the programs start date) that would be considered rude or unfair to this student to continue to hold up 3 spots?<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

Or do you feel something along the lines of: “that student was accepted to 4 programs, they have every right to weigh until a decision is made, regardless of the time it takes?”

This is by NO MEANS, me... so carte blanche on commenting.<O:p</O:p

I thought most programs had a date that you had to accept by. Once you make an acceptance at another school, you should release your spot at the previous school. I really don't think someone should be holding spots at 3+ schools. Two, possibly, before a final decision is made in a reasonable time frame, but definitely not more than that.

I thought most programs had a date that you had to accept by. Once you make an acceptance at another school, you should release your spot at the previous school. I really don't think someone should be holding spots at 3+ schools. Two, possibly, before a final decision is made in a reasonable time frame, but definitely not more than that.

I accepted a spot at the first school that offered me one. I knew it wasn't my first choice, but I hadn't interviewed at my top choices yet. As soon as I was offered a spot that I wanted more, I notified the other school(s) that I would not be attending. I believe that this was a responsible way to go about it. I could see holding two seats for a limited period of time in order to fully consider your options, or until a specific date in the future when you will have additional information (ie school/work plans of your significant other). I see no reason that a person should hold four seats indefinitely. A decision will have to be made eventually and, unless there is a specific reason (see above), there is no reason why it can't be made now.

Also, consider the people on the wait list who would probably give anything for one of the other three seats. They need to make plans to move, leave their jobs, etc and the sooner that they can get started with that process, the better.

I accepted a spot at the first school that offered me one. I knew it wasn't my first choice, but I hadn't interviewed at my top choices yet. As soon as I was offered a spot that I wanted more, I notified the other school(s) that I would not be attending. I believe that this was a responsible way to go about it. I could see holding two seats for a limited period of time in order to fully consider your options, or until a specific date in the future when you will have additional information (ie school/work plans of your significant other). I see no reason that a person should hold four seats indefinitely. A decision will have to be made eventually and, unless there is a specific reason (see above), there is no reason why it can't be made now.

Also, consider the people on the wait list who would probably give anything for one of the other three seats. They need to make plans to move, leave their jobs, etc and the sooner that they can get started with that process, the better.

Well, If the student cannot decide, then he's not really being rude. He has until that date to decide. And, if he doesn't do it by then, chances are he will lose the deposits at the 3 schools he turns down after that date. He pays the price of being indecisive, & three people on a waitlist have their dream come true. Worse things could happen.

Well, If the student cannot decide, then he's not really being rude. He has until that date to decide. And, if he doesn't do it by then, chances are he will lose the deposits at the 3 schools he turns down after that date. He pays the price of being indecisive, & three people on a waitlist have their dream come true. Worse things could happen.

Archived