mathematics

2 minutes ago, katieo said:

There are plenty of people who take algebra in college. 

Taking algebra in college does not make it college level math, just the same as I took it in 7th grade but that doesn't mean that it is middle school level math.

I guess the better question is whether this is a high school student planning on going to PA school or a college student taking algebra and asking about next steps?

1 minute ago, mgriffiths said:

Taking algebra in college does not make it college level math, just the same as I took it in 7th grade but that doesn't mean that it is middle school level math.

I guess the better question is whether this is a high school student planning on going to PA school or a college student taking algebra and asking about next steps?

What? When I took it in high school it was literally called “college algebra.” I think if you take it in college, they call it “college algebra” as well. What I took in 7th grade and 8th grade was algebra I and algebra II. 

I’m confused as to what about the original question is trolly and how that relates to the math. Clearly a question better suited for a pre-PA thread, though, if that’s what you’re getting at

To OP, this is more a question for the pre-PA area of this site, but a B is not a big deal. You will probably have to take at least calc 1 and physics. That’s about as mathy as prereqs get, and I don’t think medicine in general is very math intensive. Try to figure out why you got a B and don’t make a habit of it. Everyone’s capable of getting As in math, o chem, etc. Use this opportunity to become an A student in future challenging courses. You may need to work on you’re studying and increase the amount of practice problems you’re doing significantly.

I only took college algebra and statistics. Never needed any higher level math than that, and I'm doing pretty well in PA school. However, you may be required to take a higher level math (like pre-calculus or calculus) if your school requires it for your major or if other classes have prerequisites for it (like chemistry or physics). My university didn't, but every school is different. 

Unless you're going into radiation oncology, you don't need high level math.  I think understanding of statistics and statistical methods is VERY important but I wouldn't worry too much about a particular grade especially if you're not going to be taking the MCAT.  It depends on the pre-reqs of the school.

Archived