Relocating Significant Other

I was recently accepted to PA school and am now struggling with the idea of my significant other relocate with me. We are currently not married, but discussed taking that step in the next year or so. Any advice from other students that were in this situation? My concerns are the time and stress of a long distance relationship during school, vs. the challenge of my significant other finding a good job in a new city. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'm in the same boat but my SO and I decided that she will stay where we've been living while I'll move for school. It would be tough either way, but we figured that my being alone will allow me to really focus more on school. Every couple is different though and our situation is a bit unique in that English is her second language and finding a new job is more of a challenge than for native English speakers. Good luck with this tough situation!

My boyfriend has a good job back home and recently bought a house so moving with me wasn't really an option. We are doing the long distance thing and making it work everyday. We skype every night for about 30 minutes and try to see each other (him flying here or me flying home) every 3-4 weeks. I think its more of a struggle for him than me because I'm so busy...when I miss him I just pick up some notes and study. I have other classmates making the long distance relationships work...one in South Africa, one in California, and quite a few with boyfriends/husbands a 1-2 hour drive away.

• Administrator

I moved my family with me ~120 miles for PA school. Throughout the whole process, it looks like I will have been away for one six week stretch, commuting (one way or the other) home on weekends for about 13 weeks, and moving my family with me to a remote rotation for 12 weeks. For the other ~20 months of PA school, I've been able to sleep in the same bed with my wife. After almost 17 years of marriage, this was a priority for us.

I'v been doing the long distance thing with my girlfriend for the last 2 years throughout PA school. It is a change and a challenge at times but we are both in grad school and had plenty on our plates to keep up busy. We generally skype each nice and try to visit once every 4-6 weeks. It can be done, but I can speak for both of us when I say we are excited for this whole process to be over with and move on with our lives, together in 1 location.

Also- best of luck with getting married while in PA school (if you really are planning to get married in the next year)! There were a few from my class that pulled it off and I couldn't imagine the added stress of it all. I also feel like 1/5 of my class got engaged during PA school.. crazy.

• 1 month later...

My husband and I, even though we knew each other in high school, started our relationship long distance. I went to school a few states away for undergrad my first year and we talked over the phone every night. Strangely, that brought us closer, so we dated. Then I moved closer to home d/t family issues and was under 2 hrs away from home the rest of my undergrad. My husband and I have been together 11 years (only 4 of which we were married). He is staying home, rooming with a buddy of his, while I go to PA school in a neighboring state. He will keep working and supporting me and making sure I have good insurance, and HE plans on coming to see me every 2 weeks, but I, however, think it will be closer to every 3-4 weeks d/t our schedules. We've been together so long, we know it will be hard, but this - my going to PA school - is important to us and will let me move forward in my life. I'm both scared and excited! I can't wait to be out, back home with my husband, practicing medicine, buying a place of our own to settle down in, and raising a family!

Archived