Family medicine position, new grad

I'm in the Bay Area of California (high cost of living!) and a new graduate.

Here is the first job offer, it's a family medicine position 40 hours per week (2 days/wk in OB/GYN, 3 days/wk in adult medicine).  Hours are 8-5pm with 1 hour admin time (11:30-12 and 4:30-5), typically 20 patients per day. Medical director assures me that everyone is gone at 5pm and don't need to chart at home.

- 90K annually for the initial 3-6 month "internship" period where I shadow, see fewer patients, get to know all the docs. Then pay increases to 110K with 2.5% yearly raise thereafter

- Doc on site for support and mentorship

- Medical, dental, vision included with no payroll deductions for premiums

- PTO + 13 paid holidays. Vacation doesn't start accruing until after the internship period

- CME and professional membership reimbursement, LTD and AD&D life insurance

- Pension/retirement plan with employer contribution

It's an FQHC medical home with a stellar infrastructure, which is unique for this area (they've got internal referrals to dental, optometry, podiatry, behavioral health, WIC).

A couple things that concern me: I am hoping for hrsa loan repayment but the clinic only has a hpsa score of 15 (not sure what the score will be in 2018 when they re-review). Does anyone know what my chances are of getting the federal loan repayment with that score? I have to accept a job before applying for the loan repayment...so that's a gamble. Perhaps I can negotiate for state loan repayment (where the employer matches the state's contribution 1:1) but the application for that program isn't until Dec 2018 so I'd be taking a gamble either way.

Do I say no to this job and wait around for an opening at a clinic where I'm more likely to get loan repayment? (a clinic with a higher hpsa score that may not be as awesome...or willing to offer me the good package described above)

Thanks!

that sounds like a fair deal. 90k as a training wage going to 110k for a new grad in FP sounds good. yes, I know it is the bay area and expensive(did my undergrad there), but almost nowhere can a new grad get 110 k in fp after 6 months. there are fp pas 10 years out of school not making 110k.....full benefits too? grab it.

Archived