Starting to have cold feet

To make the story short, I've been in healthcare for close to 10 years now with experience ranging from CNA to Nursing, worked in many wards and came in contact with all APP, physicians / surgeons etc. I thought I was sure that PA profession was right for me. After working with them and shadowing them, I thought that this was the right path for me because of how involved I am with my family in terms of supporting them. But now that I'm sitting on an acceptance and talking to a new grad PA, I'm starting to question the autonomy aspect of the career. I thought I was dead set on going into PC, but I found out that my interest has changed ever since I've been involved in acute care. I enjoy working with sicker patients and dealing with procedural aspect of the job...I'm afraid that if I head toward PA route, I'm going to be stuck if I wanted to go into a role that dictate the patient's plan of care.

I'm so conflicted because for so long, I thought this was the right field for me and what is best for my family. But as the time pass, I'm starting to learn more about what's out there and I'm starting to question if this scope of practice will satisfy me.

Money isn't an issue, I know I will survive with any pay rate at or above my current rate. I guess I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too in terms of doing something that I love and still needing to be their for my family. I'm 26, and I take care of my aunt, uncle, mother and 2 sisters.

6 hours ago, pitou said:

To make the story short, I've been in healthcare for close to 10 years now with experience ranging from CNA to Nursing, worked in many wards and came in contact with all APP, physicians / surgeons etc. I thought I was sure that PA profession was right for me. After working with them and shadowing them, I thought that this was the right path for me because of how involved I am with my family in terms of supporting them. But now that I'm sitting on an acceptance and talking to a new grad PA, I'm starting to question the autonomy aspect of the career. I thought I was dead set on going into PC, but I found out that my interest has changed ever since I've been involved in acute care. I enjoy working with sicker patients and dealing with procedural aspect of the job...I'm afraid that if I head toward PA route, I'm going to be stuck if I wanted to go into a role that dictate the patient's plan of care.

I'm so conflicted because for so long, I thought this was the right field for me and what is best for my family. But as the time pass, I'm starting to learn more about what's out there and I'm starting to question if this scope of practice will satisfy me.

Money isn't an issue, I know I will survive with any pay rate at or above my current rate. I guess I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too in terms of doing something that I love and still needing to be their for my family. I'm 26, and I take care of my aunt, uncle, mother and 2 sisters.

Hey, what other career paths would you consider instead, then? I feel like you can start with answering that question for yourself. I hope this helps.

There are lots of different PA jobs. I work in several hospitals for our cardiology practice, doing consults, solving problems, interacting with physicians in other specialties, etc. I can call my SP whenever I need to.

That’s me. I’m older and I enjoy my life. You need to figure out what kind of life you want next. Your goals can, and probably will, change over time. You don’t need all the answers in your life, just the next one!

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived