Can't find EMT job in San Diego

How are your swimming skills? I worked as a beach lifeguard in SD for years and know that most of the agencies are getting ready to run their academy and do summer hiring. Maybe not what you had in mind, but most agencies will pay you a bonus for already being an EMT and you may get some pretty amazing medical calls that you would never see doing patient transport. You'd probably make 50-100% more than working on a box and it would allow you time to set up an EMT job for the fall.

Also, I conservatively used my lifeguarding hours when I applied to PA, but had hospital experience as well.

I can doggy paddle :saddd:

Thanks for your suggestion though, I hadn't thought about that at all!

Not sure how well this will go over, but I've been told by multiple employers and advisors to never mention that you'll leave the company to go to school or another job or anything like that. It's hard to show dedication to a job when you're already thinking about your next step and leaving them. And I think the comment somewhere above that said they saw you as overqualified is definitely something to consider. It might be very obvious to the interviewers or hiring managers that this is just a stepping stone for you. Do what you can to make it not look like that's the case.

You can also consider doing some volunteer EMT work in the meantime. Might help you get your foot in the door. Where I am, I work with a bunch of volunteer EMTs who interact with the ambulance service in the area on a regular basis and therefore have that foot in the door already when they go to apply - another vote for networking.

Just keep trying man. I worked at a SoCal EMT company for a few years and ran into the same problems as you before I got hired. So did my gf. No responses after interviews. One company basically said I had the job, but then never called or returned my messages. I don't know why it's like that. I worked in a different field before and never experienced anything remotely close. It took us each about 6 months to land a job. It's saturated in SoCal. Also, friends of current employees get hired first. Like right now I know I could easily get a BLS job by just asking old coworkers to get me in. Its just that first job that's hard to come by. Good luck.

crystaltide - Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the insight. I want to be honest but I guess it may not be the most appealing answer for them, even if I'm going to stick around for a while...

I considered volunteering but there are very few opportunities here (as an EMT). The only one I know about is with the Palomar Volunteer Fire Department. However, you are considered a volunteer firefighter. They require you to have your EMT-B and to complete a firefighting course. I know there is patient care involved, but I was worried how PA schools (and ambulance companies) would look at the experience. I think it would be sort of conflicting because Hiring Managers for ambulances don't necessarily want to just help someone do their time as an EMT in order to get into fire academy.

Just keep trying man. I worked at a SoCal EMT company for a few years and ran into the same problems as you before I got hired. So did my gf. No responses after interviews. One company basically said I had the job, but then never called or returned my messages. I don't know why it's like that. I worked in a different field before and never experienced anything remotely close. It took us each about 6 months to land a job. It's saturated in SoCal. Also, friends of current employees get hired first. Like right now I know I could easily get a BLS job by just asking old coworkers to get me in. Its just that first job that's hard to come by. Good luck.

amtu - I know exactly what you mean. That's what I meant in one of my earlier post when I said that EMS was a totally different beast then what I was use to. At all the interviews i've had at the university/organizations here, they were all very professional in regards to communications. I'm hesitant to say a lot of ambulance companies (especially small ones) are "shady" but it feels bit that way.

If you could put me in touch with anyone at a BLS company here I'd really appreciate it. I'm not just looking to use EMT experience as a step-ladder. There are a lot of things I'm learning that are absolutely fascinating. I have a lot of compassion for people, even if it's just transporting someone for dialysis. I think there are a lot of things you can learn from people, and even as an EMT doing IFT, there are opportunities and you should never stop wanting to learn.

Thanks for your responses.

Disclosure: This portrayal is meant not to offend anyone.

Seijou: Hey guys, I don't have interviewing problems. Aside from that, can you give me any tips?

Person 1: Dude, you might have interviewing problems.

Seijou: Hey man, seriously, I think I'm okay with the interview.

Person 2: He's right man. Red flag... Interview problems.

Seijou: Seriously, guys. I think my interview is fine. Can we let it go?

Person 1: You just don't get it!

That's how it feels from my shoes. Every time I'm trying to defend myself I feel like a bigger jackass because I try to add examples to support my statements. If I don't agree with someone, it's okay to argue a bit. I'm not trying to hurt anyone.

Thats almost exactly as it happened... Now from our point of view.

Seijou: Hey guys any advice on my interviews? I got turned down from 2 out of 2. I'm a good interviewer though.

Person 1: Well, you might want to re-check your interview skills

Seijou: You obviously didn't read my post. You don't know what you're talking about.

Person 2: Sometimes we don't see all of our interview downfalls. A re-check won't hurt.

Seijou: You guys are wrong, stop attacking me. I know how to interview...

Person 1/2: Uhhh...okay. Sorry I tried.

Thats almost exactly as it happened... Now from our point of view.

Seijou: Hey guys any advice on my interviews? I got turned down from 2 out of 2. I'm a good interviewer though.

Person 1: Well, you might want to re-check your interview skills

Seijou: You obviously didn't read my post. You don't know what you're talking about.

Person 2: Sometimes we don't see all of our interview downfalls. A re-check won't hurt.

Seijou: You guys are wrong, stop attacking me. I know how to interview...

Person 1/2: Uhhh...okay. Sorry I tried.

We're just going to argue back and forth...

I absolutely see your point of view. Having a conversation through posts is difficult to say the least. So I'll start by apologizing if I upset you guys. I didn't mean my post to sound like that. I was trying to explain to you guys (in the later posts), that I've had a lot of negative and positive interviewing experiences. I've had my fair share and I've always try to work on improving my interviews and use them as a learning experience. My perception of "well done!" may not be the same as another person's perception, and I am fully willing to listen to critique because we all have blind spots (we miss things that other people can see). In the mock interviews I've had in the past I've always gotten a lot of helpful suggestions.

In private conversation with one of the posters here we talked about the EMS business in southern california and how it seems different than the rest of the U.S. I don't know this for a fact, but I do have friends in other parts of the country and when they talk about the EMS system there it does seem to be much different from region to region. However, I felt like you guys were giving me simply a hard time (Ie. You obviously have problems since you can't get a job - sort of thing) without having experience with the saturation of EMT and Paramedics in San Diego County, or having experience with these small private ambulance companies that run their business out of rooms from what looks like an old apartment complex.

We also talked about how the EMS business, in general, has been different than other industries we've been part of. How it can seem so unprofessional based on our prior experiences.

Take it for what it's worth. I understand you guys want me to check my interview for things that I'm not seeing, that aren't obvious to me, as I've said in a previous post I have spent a lot of time doing that. I understand the concerns, but even if I say this... How can I politely ask you guys to stop worrying about this particular part of my application? Thanks for the tips, and if there's anything else you can suggest then I'd be open to it.

We're just going to argue back and forth...

Not trying to argue, its just when one says in their OP "Any advice would be appreciated"... and then its not appreciated, its kind of odd. I hope you do find what you are looking for in a job. Living in the Sac area I can tell you finding a job is difficult enough in the poor market. Good luck with everything. Not to beat a dead horse, but like Just Steve said, failing to make an emotional connection in an interview is the #1 reason people don't get hired at jobs, don't get into PA school, and aren't perceived as good clinicians. Its worth a lot more weight than any of us could ever imagine. Thats not advice, thats just food for thought.

Not trying to argue, its just when one says in their OP "Any advice would be appreciated"... and then its not appreciated, its kind of odd. I hope you do find what you are looking for in a job. Living in the Sac area I can tell you finding a job is difficult enough in the poor market. Good luck with everything. Not to beat a dead horse, but like Just Steve said, failing to make an emotional connection in an interview is the #1 reason people don't get hired at jobs, don't get into PA school, and aren't perceived as good clinicians. Its worth a lot more weight than any of us could ever imagine. Thats not advice, thats just food for thought.

You are beating a dead horse. Apologies and explanations are offered and I've been hoping to move on.

Being able to interact with people isn't just important for PAs, or EMS. I come from a social science background where (before quitting my job to pursue this career), I interacted with people from the community on a daily basis. Many of them (the community members) knew of my aspirations in medicine and supported me all the way. We (my coworkers and I) love the people and often times, there is very little we can do for them and their life situations.

When you gave your food for thought and your advice, I'm am sure that you mean well. But not everyone who comes on to the forums is new to the world. There are people out there who have had real jobs, interacted with real people, and know a little bit about how this world seems to work.

I feel like you guys are wanting to teach me something without listening to what I'm saying.

Just as I should have given you more respect, I think you and Steve (for what it's worth) should have given me a bit more benefit of the doubt. Several people I came in contact with as a result of this thread have been able to relate to me, the employment situation here, and the struggles. I have gotten a lot of good feedback and I do appreciate it.

Archived