Advice on EM offer

Looking for some input from all of you experienced EM PA's on a potential job change.  

I have been in my current position for 3.5 years--started as a new grad.  Level 2 trauma center, lots of autonomy, great docs/APS.  Currently undergoing "strategic transformation" to likely include CMG buyout.  Nursing is a nightmare (40% travelers--who are great, 60% "the way we've always done it" experienced nurses).  We are being sabotaged at every turn trying desperately to "fix all of the problems" in the ER. It's futile, they are system issues, but we can't move the needle on anything.  Again, love my colleagues.  Pay is good.  Benefits (as of Jan 1) are terrible.  Good CME.  I thought I would retire here.  In the past 6 months this place as become a nightmare between death by metrics and nursing sabotage.  I see a TON of sick patients so it's a pretty stressful gig.  I find I'm starting to dread going to work every day due to the additional stress of navigating all of the foolishness.  There is probably light at the end of the tunnel but I'm not sure how long this will all take.  

Recently interviewed with another local group--who is one of the smaller CMG's being considered to buy us out (they won't get the contract I don't think).  I have friends who work there (who previously worked at my current shop) and love it. The PA's largely see the lower acuity stuff.  Not traditional fast track but there is no push to see sick patients (where I find the docs swiping low acuity and leaving high acuity for us at my current job).  That would be the main location.  I would also do nights at 2 critical access hospitals.  3.5 hour drive to each (45 min apart).  Doc on site sleeping--so I would have backup--but would largely be solo.  Low volume, high acuity.  Pay seems comparable although it's base + productivity.  I'm currently salaried but at the top of APS and midrange in the docs in terms of productivity.  Benefits WAY better.  Less CME $.  

My dilemma is that my main site would be huge steps back...BUT solo nights with backup if I need it seems like a step forward. 

Anyone have thoughts? I'm leaning hard toward accepting but was hoping for some input.  I know the grass isn't greener...but it's different grass.  Any thoughts from folks who have made similar moves? Good/bad or otherwise

if you are miserable in your current situation, it's time to leave. I left several times, always for better autonomy and scope of practice. pay was never really an issue. I wish I had jobs early on that let me see high acuity. my first several jobs were death by fast track with minimal real acuity. 30-60 pts in 12 hrs(on paper before the cursed EMRs killed productivity).

That's what I'm thinking.  I'll trade large volumes of high acuity for a mix of high volume/low acuity and low volume/high acuity/solo-ish.  I think it'll be better.  It'll be less days of strung out mega-stress/month, which will be better.  Between that and a solo critical access per-diem gig I just picked up I should have all the autonomy I need.  

Thanks for the input.  Seems to be the consensus among the few people I've run it by.  

Archived