Job market saturation

Anyone else here notice how hard it is to obtain a job as a PA here in florida? I'm in the Jacksonville area, relocated from Michigan. I have two years experience working in internal medicine with rapid response training. I have been on about 12 interviews and each interview said they had many candidates to choose from. One cardiologist even showed me a stack of resumes he had to go through for a single job opening which was about one inch thick.

• 1 month later...

I’m getting very frustrated. I cannot move for a job (husband is an established surgeon, kids settled in schools and the area). I just graduated in August, and I cannot find anything that isn’t a really bad offer, really shady, or decent that is willing to hire a new grad. I’m getting highly discouraged.

yes- most jobs say "experience required". However if your husband has ties in the medical field he could probably get word of people who are hiring PA's. It's who you know. Moving here I didn't know anyone. We are moving in August, and I already have a job interview in a different state. It's a whole different ballgame. The PA field isn't really what it's cut out to be, esp with new programs constantly opening, competition with NP's and online programs etc. Its going to get even worse.

yes- most jobs say "experience required". However if your husband has ties in the medical field he could probably get word of people who are hiring PA's. It's who you know. Moving here I didn't know anyone. We are moving in August, and I already have a job interview in a different state. It's a whole different ballgame. The PA field isn't really what it's cut out to be, esp with new programs constantly opening, competition with NP's and online programs etc. Its going to get even worse.

Unfortunately, he works for a hospital system that treats PAs very poorly. They are not hiring. He’s the only one who has a PA other than the ER who is a private group. I cannot work with him due to nepotism rules in the system, and ortho surgery isn’t what I want to do anyway. They ER has only given me lip service. They have two APCs already on PRN and are fighting over shifts.

I wish it was that easy. I’ve signed up for locum tenens. They haven’t been able to find anything either.

Oh, and I’m applying for everything I would consider doing, “experience required” or not.

Archived