Joining the Air Guard

This week I found out I was accepted into PA school.  While applying last cycle and this current cycle I have been trying to research the position of physician assistant in the Air National Guard and really have not found out much.  I have talked to recruiters for both divisions in my state and as far as I can tell I cannot sign up until I have completed school unless I enlist full time.  Most of the recruiters will give me another person's contact info and when I contact that person they are not the correct person to talk to, I feel like I am kind of going in circles on this.  I have no prior service.  I have been in EMS for ten years seven as a paramedic.  I'm 31 currently and will be 33 upon completion of PA school.  What I am wondering is there something similar to the HPSP for the Air Guard?  I guess I was hoping to sign up, go to school on the civilian side and then serve.   Just wondering if this is possible?

Thanks

Kettle

Good morning OP,

I'm currently in the Florida Air Guard and there are a number of PAs that work in my unit. Some states have more vacancies than others, but there is generally almost always room for PAs. Have you considered the Air Reserve? They are federally aligned and tend to have different incentives from the Guard.

Also, to play devil's advocate for a bit, you mentioned knowledge of the HPSP.  A PA in my unit participated in that and accrued benefits while owing two years of active duty afterward. If that's something you might be interested in, two years is long enough to get a feel for military medicine while short enough to not be a loss if you decide to leave afterward. I have 13 years of active duty experience in addition to my time in the Air Guard, so please feel free to message me with any questions, I would be honored to help.

I remember your post on the UF thread. I'm really glad you got accepted somewhere. A guy with your experience and credentials most certainly deserves a PA school seat. May I ask where you got accepted?

All the best!

• 1 month later...

Finally got some solid information on this to update anyone who was following.  Mainly the lack of information that I could get was due to the recruiter in area that handles healthcare professionals recently retired and it was not filled for sometime.  Anyways the Air National Guard will only sign you up prior to school if you are going to be in medical school or dental school.  However their tuition reimbursement is quite substantial and I will enlist after I graduate school.  Thank you for everyone you tried to help me with this process 

Archived