Counter set salaries?

I got salary and benefits information from a University Hospital system that I interviewed with. They had a salary range posted on the website when I applied. As a new grad, they gave me the lowest number in this range and it seems pretty low ($82500). Benefits seem great as a University hospital but I wasn't planning on taking a salary so low. My question is, can you counter a system when they sound like they start all candidates with no experience at this salary? 

I have gotten better offers, but this is definitely they best sounding position in terms of opportunities, specialty, and teaching. If I take the low salary, think it will increase quickly? I haven't gotten the full contract yet so I am just asking for opinions.

Thanks!

Most big systems provide a percentage cost of living increase every year and not much more of a raise than that unless you take on significantly more responsibilities. Your best bet is to sell yourself as worth more at the time of hire. Some places will bite, others won't, and then you'll get to decide what's most important for your first job.

True. Is it always worth is to counter?

This is a job I would really enjoy, and will probably be my only offer on the table if they offer it (I am declining another one at the end of this week. I have delayed it as long as i can). If I counter, could they possibly come back and deny me and take away the offer? I'd probably still take the low salary, but I would want to at least TRY for more. I just don't want to lose the offer... i've been job searching too long already!

Do you want to work at a place that will rescind the offer because you dared to ask for more money? They will either say no or come up a little bit. Most likely they will meet you halfway. Just reply saying you are very impressed and are excited to work there, but you were expecting a higher salary. Mention data from the AAPA salary report if needed.

Archived