Jump to content

2017-2018 Cycle - GRE Advice


Recommended Posts

Hey guys,
I am in need of advice as the cycle deadline is coming close. I am applying to all the Nova Schools with Orlando being my number one choice and then to many more. I just took the GRE and got a lower score than the "competitive applicants recommended" 45 percentile for the Quantitative Section but above the 45 percentile for Verbal and Writing. Should I submit with that score or retake it and submit 10-14 days before the deadline of December 1st? 

Below are my additional stats:
-cGPA: 3.555
-sGAP: 3.44
-Prereq GPA: 3.8
-GRE: 151 V, 146 Q, 4 Writing (possibly higher as just took it)
-1000+ PCE
-850 HCE
-Shadow: 60 so far (currently shadowing)
-3 PA recommendations
-1 Pharmacist recommendation
-1 Sports Certified Doctor of Chiropractic recommendation

Not sure if my low Quant score will render auto-rejection or not. Any help is appreciated!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest hcruz496
1 minute ago, orlandoapplicant said:

Hey guys,
I am in need of advice as the cycle deadline is coming close. I am applying to all the Nova Schools with Orlando being my number one choice and then to many more. I just took the GRE and got a lower score than the "competitive applicants recommended" 45 percentile for the Quantitative Section but above the 45 percentile for Verbal and Writing. Should I submit with that score or retake it and submit 10-14 days before the deadline of December 1st? 

Below are my additional stats:
-cGPA: 3.555
-sGAP: 3.44
-Prereq GPA: 3.8
-GRE: 151 V, 146 Q, 4 Writing (possibly higher as just took it)
-1000+ PCE
-850 HCE
-Shadow: 60 so far (currently shadowing)
-3 PA recommendations
-1 Pharmacist recommendation
-1 Sports Certified Doctor of Chiropractic recommendation

Not sure if my low Quant score will render auto-rejection or not. Any help is appreciated!

I would go ahead and submit.  NSU has rolling admissions, I was already accepted to NSU Orlando for class of 2020 and I know it is filling up.   I think waiting so you can retake the GRE won't help.  I did okay on it and got in.  I got 157V, 153Q and 4.5writing.  I could've done better I know, but I think they look at you as a whole.  I think you are better off applying now while there are still seats available.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, hcruz496 said:

I would go ahead and submit.  NSU has rolling admissions, I was already accepted to NSU Orlando for class of 2020 and I know it is filling up.   I think waiting so you can retake the GRE won't help.  I did okay on it and got in.  I got 157V, 153Q and 4.5writing.  I could've done better I know, but I think they look at you as a whole.  I think you are better off applying now while there are still seats available.  

Thank you for the advice! As far as you know have the said anything about auto-rejecting due to GRE scores? Were your other stats comparable to mine?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest hcruz496

I don’t know about auto-rejecting. Where did you find a cut off on GRE? I didn’t see that they had one, but I could’ve overlooked it. 

My sGPA was 3.79 and cGPA was 3.81. I also have approximately 20,000 hours HCE as an x-ray tech. 

I think all of your stats sound good and your LOR seem to be from all good sources! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, hcruz496 said:

I don’t know about auto-rejecting. Where did you find a cut off on GRE? I didn’t see that they had one, but I could’ve overlooked it. 

My sGPA was 3.79 and cGPA was 3.81. I also have approximately 20,000 hours HCE as an x-ray tech. 

I think all of your stats sound good and your LOR seem to be from all good sources! 

I emailed the Orlando Admission Coordinator and she said she could not specifically advise me but attached an informational letter for applicants that said "Past classes had GRE average of 308 and 4.0 writing. Competitive applicants will score within 45th percentile or higher in each of the three categories."  She ended the email with "After reviewing the attached letter, I am confident you will be able to make a decision" and that the committee will not re-review my application if I submit higher scores after they have viewed my application. Not sure if she was indirectly telling me something or if I'm just over-analyzing it all. I just would hate to have Quant score cause a rejection. Think I should just pull the trigger and apply due to the rolling admissions?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest hcruz496

I would just apply, if 308 is the average, that means some accepted had below a 308.  I would also apply to more than one school.  Have you thought of applying to some programs that don't even require the GRE?

I think with rolling admissions applying so late can really be a detriment.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, hcruz496 said:

I would just apply, if 308 is the average, that means some accepted had below a 308.  I would also apply to more than one school.  Have you thought of applying to some programs that don't even require the GRE?

I think with rolling admissions applying so late can really be a detriment.  

I am going to submit now, thank you for all your advice!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Guest polishedpas

All campuses are different. I want to reapply to Nova Jax and when I emailed admissions for advice, she literally told me to not retake any classes "bc my GPA wouldn't be that impacted," but to retake my GRE instead. When I went to their open house she focused SO much on the fact that they want at least 50 percentile in each section. But your other stats are great! Like I said, it really is school specific (even campus wise). Nova Orlando may not want a higher GRE, while Nova Jax probably will.

 

Hope this helps!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A personal friend was not even invited for interview with a 3.7 GPA all around, military background, ton of charity work and the only thing that held him back for Nova FTL was his 297 GRE.  Again, this is for the Ft. Laud campus and the admissions director's words were to retake the GRE, score in the 300's, or else no invite.

Either way, you won't know without trying.  I can tell you the admissions director at the Ft. Lauderdale campus is direct and blunt and she will let you know what the weakness is in your app, and that's from personal experience.  

Im a reapplicant and got acceptance to Nova Ft. Lauderdale this 2017-2018 cycle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Axa2050 said:

My friend had a similar GPA to your friend's, worked as an EMT and also got a 297, and he was accepted to Nova Ft. Lauderdale last year!

It's crazy how inconsistent it is sometimes :/ 

I am wondering what the percentile of your friend's GRE scores were?  I know my friend did 151 Quant, 146V, and it was either a 2.5 or 3.0 Writing.  So just very bad 2 out of 3.  

PS- agreed on the inconsistencies.  It is crazy how random the whole process is.  Being rejected by not so good programs and getting an invite from a top program in the country in my experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More