First job is there such a thing as too specialized

Hi all,

New grad looking for some advice.  I have two options.  Option 1 take a broad spectrum surgical job with minimal residents and students where I would work with multiple specialities (gen surgery, vascular, maybe plastics etc). Option 2 take a job in obesity medicine private practice who does some gender transformation therapy (no surgery)

I view jobs as needing to fulfill 3 broad qualities: earning, specialty and location. 

Aside from the obvious point that the two jobs are very different, option 1 yields specialty/education potential + earning.  Option 2 is in the location I want + earning and general interested but maybe isn't the end all be all specialty for me and doesn't have as broad education opportunity as say the surgical.

My preference would be to take the second option for location and money which would allow me to network in the area I want to be in long term.  My concern is being in a job that is too specialized where I won't use/build a broad education base.  Should that be a concern?

Two very different jobs. Do you want to be in surgery or not? Answer that question first.

I suspect that, after a few years in obesity medicine, it would be somewhat more difficult to transition into something else as little that you’ll learn (other than basic patient interaction skills) would be of much help.

It sounds like location is a very big deal for you. If that’s the case, I would narrow my search to the local area, but select a specialty that is meaningful to you. Try not to take any job just because of where it is.

On the other hand, if you are motivated to go into obesity medicine, have at it.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My general guidance I give to new grads is to learn how to practice medicine first, then go become specialized if you desire.  It is just a suggestion I give.  My reasoning is that if you spend a little time in FP/IM or even ER and learn the basics of medicine, then you can provide better care to patients in your future specialized area.  Now this may not always be good advice if wanting to go into surgery.  It may be better to train a surgical PA if they just stepped out of school fresh of surgical rotations vs a PA who has been working FP for 5 years.  Surgery training makes you marketable to other surgical specialties.  Between the two jobs, if you want to do surgery, I would choose the first option.  I think the second is too specialized.  What exactly is "obesity medicine"?  Is this a medical weight loss clinic or will you be handling the comorbidities of the obesity as well?  If you will be managing more then just weight, then that could change my opinion. 

Archived