Seeks Guidance in PA/BSN

Ok guys.....Good Day everyone! Hope all is well!

I started school in 2009 with hopes on going on to become a PA. I Majored in biology, graduated Winter of 2015 with BS in Biology. Just finished my prereqs for advanced nursing degree(fall back plan)(summer2017)

Problem is 
-My great grandmother(she raised me) passed away during my school semester and I didnt get to "officially" withdraw out of 6 classes and it demolished my GPA from a 3.3 to a 2.6 for graduating, hence my GPA definitely was not high enough for PA school. By the time i finished my pre-reqs (summer2017---AP1+2, Microbiology)it was bumped up to a 2.8. So I considered BSN(needing to get my foot in the door as well as my classes expiring after 10yrs) However my pre-reqs are all A's and B's grades. 

Do you think the admission committee will take into effect the "WNs" and the death in my family? because this isnt my "true" gpa. And I feel shamed by this gpa bc it will hinder my acceptance. I didnt do that bad in my classes, i just went through a rough patch.

Fall Back Plan-----
I would really hate to have to go the traditional route BSN(not accelerated) and take courses I already have completed. I would really like to get into Accelerated BN program (since i cannot be a PA to save time). If i enter my story(death, WNs)  into my personal statement do you think they will bypass my GPA hiccup? Should I start volunteering at hospitals to give myself a greater chance? Or am I just stuck with applying via traditional route? (remember time is of the essence---I started school in 2009 and i heard classes expire after 10yrs)

What should I do? 
arghh.png

First, i would like to thank you sooo much for taking the time out to give me advice about my "situation" lol as it is very complicated.

So I would be looking for less-popular nursing schools. Thats fine. 

Do you find it popular for students to apply to BSN then to PA/NP?

It's not necessarily the Adcoms bypassing your grades. A lot of programs rely on CASPA to weed out applicants via GPA first, and then work from the top down.. That's the unfortunate part if you do not meet their "bare minimum" GPA. If you do, then they'll manually and actively screen your application giving you a better chance. 

An accelerated BSN is a good back up and will open the doors to both PA and NP programs. I tried for PA school last cycle but I ended up not getting in and now I'm in my 7th week of a 1 year accelerated program. As for re-applying to PA school, I will re-entertain that idea when I graduate nursing school next year. But so far, my program is doing a dam good job convincing me to do BSN to MSN/DNP lmao.

If I wasn't impatient and already bored of working as a MA I would hold out a little longer but I'm tired of being broke...and the limited scope.

@Diggy Thank you so much for replying! Believe me, you have been helpful and really down to earth!

So im now learning that CASPA is being used for PA programs only. So I have to apply the traditional way for BSN program. And I am so glad that you are enjoying the bsn program although this wasn't your FIRST choice. That is very encouraging. Did your gpa look like mine tho? I want to know what are my chances of actually getting into a BSN program. I have a 2.8 overall but my pre-reqs are As and Bs. 

However in the traditional bsn program, I would have to retake the classes I already have in my Bachelors in Biology right?

In terms of the money part, heck yeah, my parents are on my about getting my bio degree so long ago and not doing anything with it. I could use that RN money as well as working in the field I love. Thanks again ! :)

20 hours ago, jazzytee said:

@Diggy Thank you so much for replying! Believe me, you have been helpful and really down to earth!

So im now learning that CASPA is being used for PA programs only. So I have to apply the traditional way for BSN program. And I am so glad that you are enjoying the bsn program although this wasn't your FIRST choice. That is very encouraging. Did your gpa look like mine tho? I want to know what are my chances of actually getting into a BSN program. I have a 2.8 overall but my pre-reqs are As and Bs. 

However in the traditional bsn program, I would have to retake the classes I already have in my Bachelors in Biology right?

In terms of the money part, heck yeah, my parents are on my about getting my bio degree so long ago and not doing anything with it. I could use that RN money as well as working in the field I love. Thanks again ! :)

Since you already have a BS I would encourage you to apply to accelerated BSN programs (or even direct admit MSN programs if you don't mind coughing up the moola.) 

Although it was not my first choice, my family (and after some thinking) it's best to take advantages of all the opportunities I was presented with. No regrets so far. Start clinical in 7 days and I am so excited to get back to patient care. 

My gpa after my first undergrad was a 3.5 so I only applied to 1 ABSN program. That said, let me reassure you that nursing school is a WHOLE LOT easier to get into compared to PA school. 1, there are soo many more seats and programs and 2, it is a lot less competitive. However, I came to find out that the average for my program for those who got in was a 3.5-3.7.

A traditional program can be defined by 2 things; (1) it's a 4 year program, or (2) it's a 2 year upper level program where you complete all of your general education elsewhere and then transfer for the last 2 years and complete nothing but nursing courses. So you'll have to find out which one you're applying to. If it's (1) you'll retake/transfer credits etc - don't quote me...as for (2), this is primarily for those who did not complete their first BS but since you already completed a Bio degree, you won't be eligible to apply to these programs. Look into an ABSN (they range from 12 months to 18 months). 

Then again, you'll have to be sure this is what YOU want. If you see yourself as nothing but PA then you might regret the decision to pursue nursing school or you could do this and then go onto PA or NP....for me, I saw myself as a PA but at the end of the day I do not care what my titles are, I just want to further my education, my skill set, and my income. 

I say just apply. Not all programs have a ten year cap on pre-requisites. It just depends on where you apply. Im currently a BSN, RN & decided to go back for PA this year (hopefully I get in). I did have to go back & take a few classes over bc I chose to apply to schools that wanted "within 10 years" but at least 3 of the programs didn't have that requirement. And again, GPA isn't everything... especially if you have awesome experience. If you don't want to just try & apply to some schools, I suggest doing the nursing route first, ADCOMS will def. be more lenient - even if you only stick with nursing for 1 year - that experience is monumental compared to most other HCE. I work with PAs regularly and they've always said their colleagues that were nurses first always did very well bc of their experiences. At least if you do nursing first, you'll be around all healthcare professions & truly understand everyones role, including the PA role. & hey, maybe you'll do nursing & end up loving it & wanting to be an NP. if you get a BSN, NP school would be a hell of a lot easier to get into.

Archived