Pre requisition

I took almost all of my pre-requisites at a community college.  Just be sure that the programs you are interested in accept CC credits.

Pros: cheaper, smaller class sizes, more face time with your instructor (and maybe more opportunity for evals).

Cons: not all programs accept CC credits, perception that CC courses are less rigorous.

While it wasn't the norm, I did find a few schools that had a bias against CC credits for pre-reqs.  Some were overt about it, stating it right on their website, and some were more subtle about it.  There are also a small number that want true upper level science courses (300+) that of course aren't taught at a CC.  

My own choice was to pass these programs up.  My undergrad degree isn't in science and I did all my pre-reqs post-bacc.  Except for three classes, one semester, which was a big mistake, all at CC.  And I did fine.  I remain the biggest fan of CC.  

As noted, far FAR cheaper and just as good if not better in every other way than the big U.  

There may be some biases out there.  Every SINGLE thing being equal between 2 candidates, some MIGHT be tempted to take the transcript with the U.  

If you are older with a bit of life experience, CC all the way.  I'd take the older student with post-bacc CC over the fresh kid from the U, any day. 

Archived