Will someone guess my chances of getting in?

I'm a junior and will graduate in December of 2013. By the time I apply for P.A. school in May '13, my GPA will be a 3.35-3.4 with all my pre-reqs done. I should have about 1000 hours of CNA hours under my belt. When I matriculate into P.A. school (if I get in during the cycle I want to) I should have a 3.5 with 1500 hours. I'm a fairly good test taker and plan on doing very well on the GRE.

I'm applying to 8-9 different schools in the midwest area. (4-5 in MI, 3 in Chicago, 1 in Milwaukee) My degree will be Pre-med (biomedical sciences) and my minor economics.

What are my chances of getting into one of those?

I'm not in terrible shape but I realize that there are more competitive students trying to get into one the 8-9 spots I am and I can't help but be worried.

What can I do to improve my chances? I know that I should volunteer... Would joining an extracurricular activity help? Would taking the MCAT help?

Thanks!

Your GPA is pretty low for schools in Michigan :( I had similar stats to you and couldn't get in anywhere in the state despite trying for 2 years. You really need to have a 3.7+ to be competitive (in MI) and have 2000+ hours of experience. I suggest branching out to a few more schools, just in case.

No need to take the MCAT. Volunteer work would help for Wayne State.

I'd recommend against taking the MCAT because I have heard that it can make admissions people think you want to go to med school and PA school is just a backup. As far as ways to improve your chances, shadow in a few different specialties and volunteer. If you are interested in U of D Mercy I know that you can volunteer to be a patient model for some of their PA school practical exams.

Archived