Advice for an aspiring PA in their late 30's

Hi everyone, this forum has been a great resource for the path to PA and I would like some advice from you all. 

I am currently 35 years old and have been in business administration my entire adult life. A year ago, I decided to explore different career options and since I have always wanted to be in medicine, spoke to and shadowed different fields. It was during this time that I learned about Physician Assistants and various Therapist jobs available such as physical, occupational, radiology, speech and respiratory. Out of all of them, PA spoke to me.  However since I have to start from scratch (the PA school here requires a Bachelor's) I needed to find a way to support myself while pursuing this path. After weighing the cost vs. pay in the very low-paying Midwest area that I live in, respiratory therapy seems to be the best investment to make a living (due to the short-term AS degree) while racking up HCE with the end of goal of PA. 

However, due to having a family and not being able to relocate, I only have 1 local option for PA school that has over 400 applicants a year and only accepts 32 students.  There are 2 other schools 4 hours away, but this would be my 1st choice. The average GPA is 3.6, with the majority having a BS Biology degree.  I've taken only about 30 hours of community college classes over 12 years ago with a GPA of 2.35 due to letting life get in the way of studies but it is my understanding that CASPA will weigh this with the "newer" GPA even though I will have to retake all classes that qualify as prereqs. 

My question is do you think I even have a chance for the local PA school with these plans? 

A. Pursue RT associates (2 year program), achieve license, continue 2 more years for Bachelor's in RT while working and racking up HCE.  Attempt to get all A's. 4.0 for at least 90 credits could squeeze out a 3.6 GPA.  Age around 40 when applying to PA school. (However, is a BS in RT even worth getting or should I pursue a different degree altogether?) 

or I could 
B. Pursue BS in Biology (3-4 year program), attempt to get all A's as above plan to get a 3.6 GPA, get EMT license and work for HCE that way. Age 40 when applying. 

I am wondering if acceptance into the PA program is even a possibility. RT seems like an interesting career but from what I read there's a ceiling and also a limited number of jobs, especially where I live and moving is not an option. I want to be in the medical field, but also need to be financially realistic and if there's no chance for PA, then I need to find another career option. 

The PA advisor did stress that they take volunteer work in rural areas into high consideration (which I already have started) and that a BS in biology doesn't guarantee acceptance and if anything, they like diversity. 

I would really appreciate your thoughts from experience on this matter, thank you in advance! 

It sounds to me like putting all your eggs in one basket hoping to get into the 1 program close and not being able to relocate.  I don't think trying for PA is a bad thing but what about pursuing a bachelors degree in something that you would like to do as a backup plan, I.e. Finance, business, teaching....you can take PA pre-reqs on the side and PA programs dont care what the bachelors is in as long as you have the pre-reqs.

I don't know if this seems far fetched, but I would consider maintaining your current job (just for the $$) and take all the pre-reqs you need usually ~ 6-9 classes. So if you're working full time, you can squeeze 2 classes at your local community college per semester (Fall, Winter, Summer). You'd you have to make sure you get all A's in those classes. Then I would transfer to University and spend 2-3 years getting your bachelors in any subject that interests you and that you can finish quickly (psych,bio, communications, etc..) all the while getting your EMT or CNA certificate and accumulating PCE hours.

Just a suggestion though. But if I had to pick from your options I would probably choose the RT path. 

Good luck!

Sounds like you are ready to go for it but just don't know how to start.
I don't know how well you are under stress and multi-tasking a job, school and family but I have advice for you.
Do you have an AS degree? if not how many college credits do you have ?
There are accelerated online B.S programs that you may qualify for if you have close to an AS. Google it.
whole doing that take your pre reqs, keep your job and seek a certificate in EKG tech, phlebotomy, CNA, MA. you will be surprised how many courses there are that are accelerated.

good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Archived