Need advice please

I have a dilemma… Yesterday I was accepted into a program and I'm super excited and very grateful! On my CASPA application I put that I would be taking microbiology this fall and pharmacology in the spring. Neither of these classes are required. I just wanted to take Micro to help me refresh my memory since I took it a really long time ago. I planned to take pharmacology just to get a head start. I work a busy full-time job and have a family with a young child. I really don't want to have to take these classes if they aren't absolutely necessary, but since I put them on my application I know I would have to get permission from the school to drop them. So, my question is, do you think it makes me look lazy, or like less of a capable student, if I call and ask if it's ok that I don't take those classes now? I know the classes would be helpful, but with the prospect of spending two years in a fast-paced PA program, I want to maximize the time I have over the next nine months with my family. Taking classes in the evenings, after working a full day, takes me away from my daughter two nights a week. So, what should I do? Call and ask about dropping the classes? Or suck it up and take them anyway? I appreciate any advice! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you were offered an acceptance contingent upon successful completion of the above courses, you are required to take them. 
If your acceptance letter do not contain such statement, then I'd assume you'd be fine if you drop them. 
Congrats on your acceptance :D 

Thanks! I haven't gotten an acceptance letter or any paperwork yet, but was told to expect it later this week. I'll see if it says anything about the classes on there.
I've already taken Micro (which is a pre-req), but it was a long time ago so I thought taking it again would be a good idea. I just hate the idea of being away from home two nights a week when a year from now I'll be so engrossed in school that I won't be home much at all.…

The school might want you to still take micro, especially if you took it a while back. For pharmacology, I would be surprised if they still expected you to take it. If your acceptance letter doesn't specify, email the program and ask. They have already offered you admission without having those grades, so it probably didn't weigh much in their decision. Congrats on getting accepted!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, ecolvard said:

So, my question is, do you think it makes me look lazy, or like less of a capable student, if I call and ask if it's ok that I don't take those classes now?

No. You aren't lazy or less capable. 

If you have fulfilled all the prerequisites for that program, there is no need. If they require you to take micro within 5 years or whatever and it's been more than that then you might have to retake. Double check with them.

As a dad myself, I understand the importance of maximizing time with your child and wanting to put them down to sleep etc. Congrats on your acceptance!

Archived