Acceptable degrees

Hello everyone,

I apologize if these questions have been asked. I'm half way through my paramedic program, and enjoy working in the hospital setting. I have a Bachelors in Fire Science and a Masters in Health Emergency Management. I know I am short a few prerequisites, and intend on finishing those after I graduate paramedic school. My undergraduate GPA is 3.57 out of 4 and my graduate GPA is 3.88 also out of 4. I have about 8 years of EMS experience in the city setting, my question is does my BS being in such a limited field prevent me from being accepted into a PA program or once I have completed the required prerequisites should I have a fair chance?

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say for 95% of PA programs they do not care what your degree was in, as long as you completed the required prerequisites and did well in them. I think fire science is a great degree and will help you stand out in comparison to the majority of applicants who have biology degrees. Also your GPA and PCE is totally solid. Unless your LORs suck and you wrote a crappy PS I see no issue with you getting multiple interviews. All the best to you!

Archived