Active duty Navy/Airforce PA vs Civ PA

Hello everyone! I am looking for insights about AD Navy/Airforce PA vs Civ PA. I am a prior Navy HM and currently a 1st year PA student. Does anyone has any input on the pros and cons of being AD vs Civ PA? Doing my research on what I want to do when I graduate. I appreciate any comment. Thank you! 

As a HM, you know the cons of being in the military. Treated like a kindergartner, arbitrary rules, no say in where or section you work in. You know the benefits that the military provides as well.

Pros specifically as a PA is large scope of practice. You can be nearly as independent as you want. I have no one looking over my shoulder, except chart review which can be done by an NP or PA as well. I often am assigned to chart review MDs.

There is training to be had, but sometimes you have to force it. Green side its pretty easy to convince them to send you to a training course that increases your trauma skills and what not. I work in FM at a naval hospital, so they usually just laugh unless it is mandatory training. I did convince them to let me train on vasectomies, which I now do in clinic, but I had to take leave to go work with a urologist to get the necessary number of procedures. Also got training on IUD insertions, subcutaneous contraceptive insertion/removals.

Pay is pretty good, especially factoring in tax free BAH, deployment pays, ect. But you know most of that. Mustangs make out really well.

Cons specific to PA. Deployment makes you stupid. You do not do near enough general medical work to sustain skills. I didn't think it would be that bad, but I went on a 10month deployment and lost a lot of knowledge and skills. I gained some, but they aren't very marketable in the US. Green side, where you'll likely be sent based on our current need and your status as a mustang, is not quite as bad, but you lose skills there because you are dealing strictly with pre-screened healthy individuals.

You will often be pressured to do things that aren't safe. It can be hard to stand your ground when they are saying so and so master sergeant is one of one has to deploy despite the fact he had lobectomy of his right lung (happened).

Overall, I loved my first year in the Navy. I had a supportive command structure. Great patient panel that was diverse and interesting. Supportive colleagues that helped me expand my knowledge. Hated deployment, at least from a medical perspective, as it was completely boring. Now in my last year I feel I've gotten what I can from the Navy, done my duty, and getting out for greener pastures. 

@LT_Oneal_PAC thank you very much for the input. I wanted to go back mainly to gain experience. I have worked with many PAs in FM who are independent and very knowlegeable about medicine and I am hoping to gain those types of skills. I greatly appreciate your input about PAs in deployment, as I was never deployed, I do not know what to expect. 

Archived