Non trad / How hard will it be for me to get in?

I am a 32yo male. I graduated college in '08 with a BA in English and a less than stellar 2.63 GPA (I was immature and frankly should not have been there at the time). I returned to school in 2015 part time and have so far completed the following courses w/ these grades:

Bio 1 - A

Bio 2- A

Chem 1- A

Chem 2 - A

Orgo 1 - A+

Orgo 2 - B

Genetics - B+

Pre-calculus - A

With these grades, my cGPA is a 2.87, with a science GPA around 3.7 (including a couple gen-ed classes from 10+ years ago, don't know how closely they will look at those). I have recently begun volunteering as an EMT and hope to have 1000+ hours a by fall 2018 when I plan on applying to PA school. I still plan on taking psychology, microbiology, A+P 1-2, and statistics. If I can maintain a high sGPA will that offset a lower cGPA? Especially since most of my credits were taken so long ago? I've also been a student biology researcher for over a year and I taught english in Korea for about 4 years while riding out the recession, don't know if that kind of non-medical life experience helps or not. So I guess my question is, what are my chances of being accepted to a program to begin in 2019? What else can I do to improve my application?

Have you maybe spoken to an admissions counselor? I dont know dude, getting a 2.63 as a bio major is one thing but as an English major? Your postbac classes look good, especially if you took them as full loads. Between now and 2019, you can do a lot of things to strengthen your app though. Many schools recommend biochem, A&P, microbio too. So maybe take those too and that should show you have what it takes once you put your mind to it. I wouldn't worry about age too much. Most PA schools seem to like more experienced applicants versus freshly minted bachelor's.

Guest HanSolo

You really have to get your cGPA above a 3.0. That's often a numerical cutoff. I think the sGPA could offset. Look at it this way: a lot of applicants are out of undergrad or a year or two out. They have the #s for GPA, GRE, HCE, etc. However, you have what they often lack, which is perspective. If you can up that GPA a bit, hang on to the high science GPA, rack up some HCE (that is, get some #s), and of course translate your desire with a well drafted PS, then I think you'll be a PA in due time. 

Thanks all! I've actually found a program that only looks at your science GPA as well as the last 45 credits you've taken, and does not factor in cGPA at all, which is perfect for my situation. Is this a common practice? Can anyone recommend any other programs that evaluate similarly?

Archived