In need of some help

I know there are many posts out there asking for help. I am sorry to be another one but I am in some trouble! I have had 4 interviews and have been rejected from 3 and am still waiting to hear from one. I have three more interviews coming up and I really want to figure out what I am doing wrong. I feel very lucky to have gotten this many interviews but I want to get accepted. Here are my stats

BS in Biomedical science

GPA 3.6

Over 4000 patient contact hours as a CNA

About 700 volunteer hours

20 hours of PA shadowing

If I am getting all these interviews my application must be competitive, right? but I am wondering why I am not get accepted. I feel like most of my interviews have gone well but then I get the rejection letter in the mail. I have read many posts on this website giving interview advice but I am obviously doing something wrong. I know it is hard to give advice on my specific situation because none of you have sat in on one of my interviews but I would appreciate any tips! Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I had 3 interviews and struggled with my first 2 (was rejected at one and waitlisted at the other). I was getting really frustrated about what was happening at the interviews and did a lot more preparation prior to the third interview. I think the thing that helped me the most was watching Dave the PA coach's Youtube videos. I realized that one of the issues for me was my answer to the question "Why do you want to be a PA". I refined my answer, was better prepared for my 3rd interview and was accepted to that school. I would highly recommend watching those videos and doing some mock interviewing with a friend or family member. Then when you get there be sure to relax!

Like Pedra said, mock interviews help a lot. Try to find someone that is knowledgeable in medical interviews to practice with. I was able to practice with my friend who is in med school, and it helped tremendously. He would straight up tell me if my answers were too boring, too long, or had too much rambling/fluff. What I really learned from working with him, was to interject your responses with your personality. Instead of simply answering a question, give a background to your answer through your experiences, beliefs, values, etc... This will make your responses so much more unique and will paint them a picture of who you are. Don't just say how dedicated you are to becoming a PA or how much you enjoy teamwork. Tell them how you sacrificed vacations for 3 years because you had to work and study. Let them know you've played team sports your entire life and there is no better feeling than succeeding as a team (my own examples). Show them that awesome personality :=D: And of course, practice, practice, practice. You don't want to get caught off guard by a question.

I believe another key is to get into the mindset that you are thrilled to talk to them them and that they are ecstatic to talk you. If you go in dreading the interview, it'll show and you'll come out less warm and friendly. Realize that they interview hundreds over 3+ months, which must get tedious. Go in there wanting to have a good time and to show them a good time as well. That last thought sounds kind of weird, but I hope you get the gist of what I'm trying to say. Good luck!!!

I'll take the flip side of this because no one ever seems to address the possibility. I am NOT saying this is the problem, I'm only putting it out there as a consideration for everyone who might be wondering what happened in their amazing interview. The odds are that the school just didn't think you were a good fit.

I don't know how to put this delicately... some people come across as weirdos at interviews. No faculty member wants to deal with a weirdo for two years as a student and then foist them onto patients. And I think that sometimes this happens because of the advice given above about injecting personality into your responses. If you already think you're doing this, ask yourself if you might be going too far. Are you cracking too many jokes? Are they about something besides the weather/flight? Are you asking personal questions about the interviewer? When you make eye contact like you've learned to do, are you holding it until the other person looks away? When you're with current students, do you hit on them? Are you wearing (enough) deodorant? Do you ask questions just to hear the sound of your own voice or in an attempt to stand out?

I'm sure everyone will say no no... I don't do that stuff, that's crazy. Thing is, it happens a lot more than you'd think, to people who look amazing on paper. That joke about politics that doesn't quite land, the question to the interviewer about the kids in the photo that is supposed to show how interested you are but she takes the wrong way, that cute girl on the tour who seemed so into you... all of these things contribute to the impression you're making on people and have ZERO to do with your professional qualifications, but maybe something to do with whether or not you're offered a seat.

Anyway, please don't take it the wrong way. We're required to assist with interviews and I have seen some odd/creepy things this year. Just putting the word out.

Archived