Religious volunteering for pre-PA?

I am a pre-PA biology student with a 3.68. I have volunteered for 7+ years at my church working in children's ministry, junior high ministry, and high school ministry. When I apply to programs, will they care whether my volunteering was religious or not? Could I put it under "mentoring" or something? Is religious-related volunteering looked at differently? I have started volunteering at the local hospital and have about 100 hours at the front desk and 20 hours in the ER. I am continuing to volunteer there. 

Agree with the above in terms of not overthinking it. Even for individuals who aren't religious, those reading your application want to see dedication to something or someone other than yourself. This can be community based, hospital based or religious affiliated volunteering.

Only caveat I have would be to make sure you continue your non-religious volunteer experiences as you mentioned. As PAs, we provide care to many people from all walks of life and a lot of admissions committee members want to see you've been exposed to people different from yourself and your loved ones.

I served a 2 year full-time proselyting mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon/LDS). A faculty member of my undergraduate university stated that many schools will look at such service as an obligation of religion and discount it. He said he has had students interview for PA school and when asked about their service, they discussed their time as a Mormon missionary. The interviewer interrupted them and asked about their other volunteer experience in the community as if the mission didn't count. It probably depends on who you are interviewing with but I tried to make sure I had well-rounded volunteering background not exclusive to any one organization/area (i.e. medical, religious, community sports, etc.). 

Archived