Advice for HCE

Hello!

I've been lurking on the forums for a little bit but I figured I might as well come out of hiding haha.  

I'm currently an athletic training student and will be graduating in Spring of 2018.  I'm hoping of going to a grad school for an MS in Sports Performance or Kinesiology depending on where I go.  I'm planning on practicing as an athletic trainer while in grad school.  I also planning on getting my NREMT certification.  The graduate program is a blended masters and they currently are not offering graduate assistant positions so I will have some extra time on my hands.  I was wondering if I should use athletic training as HCE or if I should do a fair amount of EMT hours as well?  Is there an advantage by diversifying my HCE?  

I'm not planning on applying/going to PA school for a couple years because a fair amount of the schools that I'm applying to (California), are not accepting practicum hours that I have as an athletic training student so I'm basically starting from 0 HCE.  I also have to retake or fulfill some pre requisites that I still need.

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

You can take a medical assistant course online through US Career Institute. If you sat down and dedicated a weekend to it you could finish it in a weekend. This qualifies you to sit for the certified clinical medical assistant exam. This is a national certification that allows you to work as a medical assistant. I did it and have had no problem finding a position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Between athletic training and EMT you'll have a nice variety of unique but also quality HCE when you decide to apply.   EMT is touted around here as one of the best HCE but don't discount your AT.  While your practicum hours might not count, other hours as an AT provide a unique HCE experience that will help set you apart.

Archived