learning curve

Ill take typos for $500, Alex

how long would be the average learning curve for a fresh PA out school to get somewhat adequated?

What is acquainted??

It depends on each person and the learning environment you enter into after graduation. Some say 2 years to feel comfortable 5 years to have confidence in the practice of medicine....but its subjective.

peeadude is using the word correctly. To be 'adequated' means to become satisfactory/decent. When you reach your learning curve on any job you are basically performing your functions in a satisfactory manner- because you know everything and your comfort level is up to par with your skills and knowledge. Hence, your are an adequate PA.

Regarding the real topic, is there really a learning curve within medicine? I assume that the learning curve will always be raised no matter how many years and knowledge you acquire.

how long would be the average learning curve for a fresh PA out school to get somewhat accoustumed?

I can hear my ER instructor now "i keep it simple, I am an ER guy." Thanks for breaking it down for me, I retract my poorly played jeopardy joke. ;)

Peeadude- just bustin your ....well, you-know...

Someone once layed it out for me something like this:

(Keep in mind different specialties may mean shorter time frames)

-First 6 months out of school: FEAR

-First 1-2 years out of school: Finding your stride

-3-5 years out of school: G2G

I have been working for close to 3 years in outpatient family medicine/urgent care. I still study, read, consult references on a near-daily basis. Still not at that "Hey, I got this stuff down!" phase yet, especially with procedures, although I no longer feel like I'm going to vomit with fear as I drive in to work (that was year #1). Now I am just trying to figure out how much I actually like this PA stuff.......

You will get there knowledge and confidence-wise. Hopefully you have a supportive and accessible supervising physician who is willing to sit down with you to discuss those "hey let me run this by you" patients. More seasoned fellow PAs have also been a godsend for me when I have questions. "Five years" seems to be the answer I get most often when I ask about time frames until I really know what I am doing.

• 5 months later...

Archived