Chances and Which Programs?

Hello everyone :) I'm 21 years old and starting my senior year at University of Miami (FL) this fall. I'm applying next cycle, so I need to wrap up my application material.

-EMT: 1000 hours by December 2017

-Volunteer at hospital: 2 years, 400 hours

-Medical mission trip to Nicaragua: 100 hours shadowing, HCE, and volunteering

-GPA: 3.47 (aiming 3.6+ by graduation...been an uphill battle from 3.0 freshman year)

-Science GPA: 3.3

-Prereq GPA: 3.6-3.8, depending on the program

-GRE: 310 total, over 60th percentile in all sections (60th analytical, 70 something analytical)

-Shadowing: 70 hours physicians, 40 hours PAs (so far)

What do you think my chances at getting into PA school the first try are? On my list so far are U of Florida, Mercer, Northwestern, Boston U, Tufts, Rutgers, Albany Med, Cornell, Stony Brook, Drexel, and Baylor. How many did you guys apply to by chance and how did you choose without visiting and having access to little admission stats?? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Def work on HCE as many applicants have thousands more hours than that (I had 21,000 or so). I say go for it, you just never know. Your stats are only a small portion of the application. Your personal statement is going to have a huge impact on whether or not the school wants to interview you and get a better feel for who you are. Keep applying til you get in and don't give up on your dream. Took me 3 years to get in and I have stellar stats. Best of luck to you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

It is possible. I had very similar stats when I applied. I had 1100 HCE hours when I submitted my CASPA, applied right out of graduation (age 22), and still managed to get around 10 interviews and I believe 6-7 acceptances. It was my first cycle too. I got into my top pick school. Be sure to stand out somehow, though. I believe it was my extra-curriculars and personal statement that landed me the interviews. Definitely apply broadly and to as many as you can afford. I applied to 13 schools (it was VERY expensive). I got into schools I never knew I would even get an interview invite from (including Cornell from your current list). You never know unless you try.

Good luck.

Hello everyone :) I'm 21 years old and starting my senior year at University of Miami (FL) this fall. I'm applying next cycle, so I need to wrap up my application material.

-EMT: 1000 hours by December 2017

-Volunteer at hospital: 2 years, 400 hours

-Medical mission trip to Nicaragua: 100 hours shadowing, HCE, and volunteering

-GPA: 3.47 (aiming 3.6+ by graduation...been an uphill battle from 3.0 freshman year)

-Science GPA: 3.3

-Prereq GPA: 3.6-3.8, depending on the program

-GRE: 310 total, over 60th percentile in all sections (60th analytical, 70 something analytical)

-Shadowing: 70 hours physicians, 40 hours PAs (so far)

What do you think my chances at getting into PA school the first try are? On my list so far are U of Florida, Mercer, Northwestern, Boston U, Tufts, Rutgers, Albany Med, Cornell, Stony Brook, Drexel, and Baylor. How many did you guys apply to by chance and how did you choose without visiting and having access to little admission stats?? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Keep getting as much PCE and HCE as possible, and start volunteering in your community if you don't already do so. If you get a GPA above a 3.8 during your senior year that would also help your case. As long as you stay on task and stay motivated then I think you have a decent shot of getting a few interviews. Just make sure you are applying to programs that fit you as a student and a future PA.

Archived