Class of 2014

It's been kind of quiet on here lately, and I was wondering if anyone else has made a final decision or been accepted to Pacific lately? I interviewed and was accepted in December, and decided to attend Pacific. I know blackboard is supposed to be set up soon for us to chat, but I am just curious who else has decided to join us. Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Congratulations! I live in and grew up in Forest Grove and hope to go to PA school at Pacific in the future. My undergrad degree is in Liberal Studies so I have some sciences I need to take and have no health care experience. I am trying to decide on getting CNA training or Medical Assistant. CNA is a lot quicker and I would then get CNA 2 so I could work in hospitals. I have read that nursing home experience may not qualify. Any thoughts on which way to go?

Valj, just from my personal experience as both an EMT on an ambulance and a patient-care tech in an ICU, I would recommend going through the hospital route. I can't express how grateful I am to be exposed to a variety of intelligent medical providers. Even though I am just beginning to dive into the future of medicine, I do know one thing for certain: it's vast. Working in a hospital gave me access to not only the knowledge of healthcare providers, but it grants the opportunity to see first-hand how the interconnectedness of a hospital works. As I am sure it is different per setting, my experience in the ICU has shown me how to become a team-player. Each employee's role is just as important as to the next to make the ICU function as a cohesive unit.

Whether you choose to work in a hospital, nursing home, or private practice just remember to take advantage of your resources. People understand the role that you're in and I'd like to say (more often than not) do not mind sharing their education. Just put a smile on your face, accept the constructive criticism, and prepare to learn as much as you can. Good luck!

Archived