Residency Interview

I can speak a little to this having recently interviewed and been accepted to a residency. 

1) Phone interview with a recruiter -  this was a very basic introduction to the program more than an interview. I was asked why did I want to apply and what attracted me to acute care.

2) Phone interview with the program manager. More details about the program and again asked why I wanted to work in acute care and what strengths I could bring to the residency.

3) In person interview with the program manager, medical director and recruiter. They pulled up my resume (with an embarassing formatting error front and center doh!) and talked through my previous experience. They asked why I wanted to work in acute care, why I wanted to move to that area, my long term career plans....all in all pretty typical job interview questions.

In short no medical questions and very much "a see if you are a good fit" type of interview.

I should add that I did my IM rotation at the hospital and had a reference from one of my preceptors in my application. They told me at the interview this made a huge difference to my application. Hope this helps.

I can speak a little to this having recently interviewed and been accepted to a residency. 

1) Phone interview with a recruiter -  this was a very basic introduction to the program more than an interview. I was asked why did I want to apply and what attracted me to acute care.

2) Phone interview with the program manager. More details about the program and again asked why I wanted to work in acute care and what strengths I could bring to the residency.

3) In person interview with the program manager, medical director and recruiter. They pulled up my resume (with an embarassing formatting error front and center doh!) and talked through my previous experience. They asked why I wanted to work in acute care, why I wanted to move to that area, my long term career plans....all in all pretty typical job interview questions.

In short no medical questions and very much "a see if you are a good fit" type of interview.

I should add that I did my IM rotation at the hospital and had a reference from one of my preceptors in my application. They told me at the interview this made a huge difference to my application. Hope this helps.

Very much so, thank you.

I can do job interview type questions on the spot, I am not great at medical scenarios with minimal time to think through the problem... hence the residency.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived