PA reimbursement versus MD

Hi all, I have been looking at the forums and noticed many PAs have different pay scales. I haven't read any posts that have addressed this so I figured I'd just ask.

1. Why isn't pay standardized in each state? There should be like an average for each state. When government hires you, HR figures out the comparable pay based on the local area.

2. Exactly, how much does the PA get compared to the MD? If an internist makes $200,000. What can a PA expect to make?

Government doesn't pay you based on how your perform or produce. Government pays you on supposed "years of experience." Sure, there is a GS pay scale. You can be near the top as a GS13 but know little and produce little. The GS13 rating is based on number of years of service; which could be lousy service or amazing service. No matter. This is why people join the government, do the absolute minimum to keep their job and get guaranteed GS salary bumps. However, some government jobs hire outside the GS pay scale. If you can find a job that doesn't have GS pay scale limits, you're far better off if you can produce.

In my experience, PA salaries do not vary quite as much as physician salaries.  Yes, PA's in specialty practices (especially surgical) tend to make more money, but it isn't all that drastic.  Derm and ED make the most from what I have seen, with ED being there because you can pick up extra shifts and work part-time at multiple jobs.  Primary care usually makes the least.

Bottom line, salaries average around $100k and your cost-of-living, hours worked, and specific specialty will all affect the final number.  Some have productivity bonuses, but usually they start with a lower base salary.  Their final salary may end up being higher, but again it usually isn't drastic.

In my experience, PA salaries do not vary quite as much as physician salaries.  Yes, PA's in specialty practices (especially surgical) tend to make more money, but it isn't all that drastic.  Derm and ED make the most from what I have seen, with ED being there because you can pick up extra shifts and work part-time at multiple jobs.  Primary care usually makes the least.

Bottom line, salaries average around $100k and your cost-of-living, hours worked, and specific specialty will all affect the final number.  Some have productivity bonuses, but usually they start with a lower base salary.  Their final salary may end up being higher, but again it usually isn't drastic.

Thanks. That was the kind of info I was looking for. I thought I read somewhere that the PAs were making 80% of what a MD made for seeing the same patient (arbitrary percentage, I dont remember the posting).

Over: I've worked at 3 government jobs...local government because they pay better than the Feds and I will say that I agree with some of what you said but not all. I and my friend left because we wanted better outlooks and we worked and didnt sit around...partly why we chose field office jobs and not desk jobs making our a$$es bigger. Yes, the desk guys made the same as us and got the same raises but we felt better by going in the field and doing something about things. But you tend to like to speak in universal terms. Perhaps if PAs organized as well as SEIU than the profession can advance as fast as NPs. Maybe they need to start wooing their lobbyists.

Archived